• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Exhaust Manifold Question

AggieZ71

NAXJA Forum User
OK, heres what im dealin with, Im putting my exhaust back onto my Jeep. I bought it without an exhaust because the previous owner had put it in the back of the Jeep (retarded i know) and we had to drop the transfercase and tranny anyways. Im putting the exhaust back in and i have the 4.0 liter in my 1989. There are two bolts at the very back of the manifold where the first piece of exhaust bolts back in. One of them i can get a screw on, and the other i cant. The one is a 3/8 16, and i tried metric and standard, including a 3/8 24 and it still wont thread in. Im lost as to why it wont go back on. Is there a way to push the bolt out and put a new one in? I think its welded but im not sure.

Also, the exhaust hangars are gone and im in an apartment parking lot. I need to fashion the exhaust onto the undercarriage for a 150 mile trip back to dallas where i can weld it at my house. If anyone has any ideas I would appreciate it. Thanks yall!

Both studs should be 3/8"-16 - the threads on the one you can't get a nut started on may be buggered up. You can - carefully! - use a thread die to restore it, or you can use a thread chaser (if you can find one) or a 60* thread file. Last resort to repair the stud would be to grind a chamfer into an SAE8 3/8"-16 nut and use that as a chaser.

Or, just pop the stud out (it's pressed in, kinda like a lug stud only not so much) and replace it with a bolt for the time being.

For the hanger, there's not an awful lot you can do about the midships one. However, you can use some plumber's strapping to fashion an ersatz hanger aft - use the OEM screws and holes to hang it in place (I think they're threaded 5/16"-18,) and wrap it around the pipe. That should get you home.

My favorite patch up wire (especially for exhausts) is coat hanger wire. It's thick enough to stay together after you twist it. Wire hangers are harder and harder to find with the plastic ones. I try to keep a spare jammed in the vehicle somewhere.

That was exactly what i was lookin for. The threads have to be messed up somethin bad, and Im not sure I can get a die on the bolt to clean the threads, but im sure gonna try. Im afraid someone might have already pressed the bolt out, although i hammered on it and got no movement. I work in a machine shop for Texas A&M so i have access to the tools, so using one of those methods I should be able to work it out. I really apprecaite your input!

plumbers strap and coat hangars. I can get both of those, I just need to find the stock mounts in the frame I suppose and use those to tie into.

My biggest problem is being in an aparment im working from a parking lot with limited tools. My truck is lifted 10 inches on 35s so i dont need a floor jack, the Jeep is a different story because its still stock :D

Back