• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cry.Co. dealer closing list: a different prespective

tbburg

NAXJA Forum User
A hit list?

Discussion/thoughts?

...,or too early to tell.

Note: the linked page started loading slow while I was posting this. Wait for it, it will load.

Same topic.
Here's another link:
michellemalkin...dealergate
and:
michellemalkin....protected-chrysler-dealerships

I picked the story up earlier in the week from "Hot Air", but posted a link to the source page. I'm not sure what the problem is with that page, but it works for me the first time I load it. After that, it is slow or won't load. If I shut down safari and restart, the site will again load once, then fail or load extremely slowly. Here's the actual address:
http://directorblue.blogspot.com/2009/05/red-alert-did-campaign-contributions.html
(For those who care about these things, I'm using Firefox 3.0.7 on Mac OS10.5.6, I didn't try to access the site with Safari or Explorer.)

...,and yes(again, for those who care about those things)I am aware that both Hot Air and MichelleMalkin.com are far out right wing sites and the people responsible should be jailed or burned at the stake along with everybody at Fox news.... :eek:

maybe its because the majority of car dealership owners are Republican, therefore, more republicans will lose their dealership...

Total number of dealerships being closed: 800
Number of "Obama" dealerships on closing list: 1

Statistical percentage of Chrysler dealers who supported Obama during the last election: 0.125%

I guess all the car dealers who donated to Obama's campaign sell Toyotas. Or maybe Republicans just really suck when it comes to selling Chryslers.

(Of course, maybe that explains the whole situation! The vast majority of Chrysler dealers are Republicans. Republicans can't sell Chryslers. Chrysler goes bankrupt dut to poor sales. Republican dealerships go out of business. The circle is complete! :D )

...,and yes(again, for those who care about those things)I am aware that both Hot Air and MichelleMalkin.com are far out right wing sites and the people responsible should be jailed or burned at the stake along with everybody at Fox news.... :eek:
Whoa...liberal issues!
banderaskelly_721.jpg

Yep we really need to burn these 2 for sure!

Last edited:

Statistical percentage of Chrysler dealers who supported Obama during the last election: 0.125%

I guess all the car dealers who donated to Obama's campaign sell Toyotas. Or maybe Republicans just really suck when it comes to selling Chryslers.

(Of course, maybe that explains the whole situation! The vast majority of Chrysler dealers are Republicans. Republicans can't sell Chryslers. Chrysler goes bankrupt dut to poor sales. Republican dealerships go out of business. The circle is complete! :D )

Where'd you get these numbers from?

Whoa...liberal issues!
banderaskelly_721.jpg

Yep we really need to burn these 2 for sure!

Same topic.
Here's another link:
michellemalkin...dealergate
and:
michellemalkin....protected-chrysler-dealerships

I picked the story up earlier in the week from "Hot Air", but posted a link to the source page. I'm not sure what the problem is with that page, but it works for me the first time I load it. After that, it is slow or won't load. If I shut down safari and restart, the site will again load once, then fail or load extremely slowly. Here's the actual address:
http://directorblue.blogspot.com/2009/05/red-alert-did-campaign-contributions.html
(For those who care about these things, I'm using Firefox 3.0.7 on Mac OS10.5.6, I didn't try to access the site with Safari or Explorer.)

Burn at the stake?
For presenting an idea, or opinion that is contrary to the political agenda of our current regime?
Please. People of the "left" pull your heads out of your A$$es.

I am not buying the whole 'Obama calling for republican dealer closings' though possible and definitely fuel for my rising disgust with his presidential stay to this point.
Dodge, like GM need to cut the fat. and the dealerships are not UAW, which means that they can cut the dealers, and not affect the Auto Unions.
The should just fold.

I thought all the Republicans drove Cadillacs (New ones) and Hummers!

Or was it Jaguars and MBs?:laugh2:

Burn at the stake?
For presenting an idea, or opinion that is contrary to the political agenda of our current regime?
Please. People of the "left" pull your heads out of your A$$es.

I am not buying the whole 'Obama calling for republican dealer closings' though possible and definitely fuel for my rising disgust with his presidential stay to this point.
Dodge, like GM need to cut the fat. and the dealerships are not UAW, which means that they can cut the dealers, and not affect the Auto Unions.
The should just fold.

"trim the fat" ? hmm, dealers cost GM, Ford, CHRYSLER nothing, in fact they make them money in yearly licensing fees, explain to me how closing a dealer saves them money.

"trim the fat" ? hmm, dealers cost GM, Ford, CHRYSLER nothing, in fact they make them money in yearly licensing fees, explain to me how closing a dealer saves them money.
There theory is to cut back on SAME make dealer compitition. I have 3 Mopar dealers & 4 GM dealers within a 15 mile radius. And I live in a rinky dink town in Iowa.

While dealer cost the manufacture very little, they sit on inventory.
This inventory has to be liquidated before the new sales will pick up. That means at the end of a model year, you have dealer unloading left overs... those left overs would potentially be buying newer cars, at a greater margin. that margin is then also financed many times by the manufactures, which translates into interest.

And truthfully, I highly doubt that a dealership costs the manufacture 'nothing' They pay for the incentives. and "sales campaigns" so when the dealers are competing with each other they have to offer better incentives...
The bottom line is that GM and DODGE are dropping production.
They want the inventory to diminish so that they can control the rate of vehicle sales and that way raise the profit margin of the vehicle.
Just because the dealership is making money does not mean that money is being made by the manufacture. "employee pricing, 0% interest, $7000 cash back..." all that stuff is paid for by the manufacture to the dealership. (except for the 0%) so of course the dealership is making money. they just got a car for 15,000 sold it to the customer for 15,000 and had GM make up the difference to the MSRP of 21,000... but GM didn't make a cent.

Cut the fat..
Less training for staff mechanics.
less dealer network support
less competition
less inventory to compete with the new products.

That's how I see it anyway...

There theory is to cut back on SAME make dealer compitition. I have 3 Mopar dealers & 4 GM dealers within a 15 mile radius. And I live in a rinky dink town in Iowa.
I have ONE jeep dealer after the other one closes and that one is 40 minutes away. Going to miss the only dodge dealer within 30 miles, he got me my jeep parts and at a decent price usually. Once he's gone we only have ONE other dealer in the area, Chevy, and I don't do chebbies....

RichP,

I was wondering the same thing. Perhaps they want fewer dealers so as to have profitable dealers, versus a bunch of near belly up dealers, but not sure how that reduces OEM costs either.

Since GM is dropping, killing, several brands, they will have no need of those brand dealers, so that may be part of the news we are hearing.

RichP,

I was wondering the same thing. Perhaps they want fewer dealers so as to have profitable dealers, versus a bunch of near belly up dealers, but not sure how that reduces OEM costs either.

Since GM is dropping, killing, several brands, they will have no need of those brand dealers, so that may be part of the news we are hearing.

They are pulling the franchise from a Jeep/chrylser dealer in LI, he sells 10% of their products, employees over 100 people, they are giving it to another dealer down the road that barely breaks even, go figure.

This could back fire on GM and Chry, if all those orphans become new Ford, or fereign :D dealerships?

And truthfully, I highly doubt that a dealership costs the manufacture 'nothing' They pay for the incentives. and "sales campaigns" so when the dealers are competing with each other they have to offer better incentives...

Just because the dealership is making money does not mean that money is being made by the manufacture. "employee pricing, 0% interest, $7000 cash back..." all that stuff is paid for by the manufacture to the dealership. (except for the 0%) so of course the dealership is making money. they just got a car for 15,000 sold it to the customer for 15,000 and had GM make up the difference to the MSRP of 21,000... but GM didn't make a cent.

Cut the fat..
Less training for staff mechanics.
less dealer network support
less competition
less inventory to compete with the new products.

That's how I see it anyway...
The manufacturers don't pay for training the mechanics or individual dealerships sales campaigns. They may make up the basic ad for the vehicles but as far as flyers, each dealer's ad, promotions (come try this key and see if you win!), etc, that's all paid by the dealers. The dealer I used to work for got mad for every person you let walk away because they figured that each customer cost them on average x amount of dollars to get there (plus each customer walking away is a customer not buying a car.) Mechanics are trained through universities (I was looking into that when getting out of the Corps) and follow on training is done by the dealers as well (as far as I know). Yes, there is less competition, however in areas like where I am, we just lost our Chevy dealer, so in order to buy a Chevy or get service done, we have to drive down the hill to Cathedral City, 70 miles from here, or to La Quinta which is even further. We still have Ford, Chrysler and Jeep though. Suzuki recently left the area, Nissan left with the Chevy dealer. Other than that, we have lots of small used car lots.

Thank God, for local junk yards, Ebay, Craigs list and NAXJA, or we would be SOL when we needed parts!

The manufacturers don't pay for training the mechanics or individual dealerships sales campaigns. They may make up the basic ad for the vehicles but as far as flyers, each dealer's ad, promotions (come try this key and see if you win!), etc, that's all paid by the dealers. The dealer I used to work for got mad for every person you let walk away because they figured that each customer cost them on average x amount of dollars to get there (plus each customer walking away is a customer not buying a car.) Mechanics are trained through universities (I was looking into that when getting out of the Corps) and follow on training is done by the dealers as well (as far as I know). Yes, there is less competition, however in areas like where I am, we just lost our Chevy dealer, so in order to buy a Chevy or get service done, we have to drive down the hill to Cathedral City, 70 miles from here, or to La Quinta which is even further. We still have Ford, Chrysler and Jeep though. Suzuki recently left the area, Nissan left with the Chevy dealer. Other than that, we have lots of small used car lots.

I thought all the Republicans drove Cadillacs (New ones) and Hummers!

Or was it Jaguars and MBs?:laugh2:

I used to believe that... I took an impromptu poll of folks oneday; turns out I was 100% wrong. Every upscale car owner I spoke to was from the Democrat party. Moreover, most were offended that I might think that they could be Republican.

Go figure.

Back