• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

BFG vs. Goodyear vs. Swamper

KM2, MT/R w/ kevlar, or LTB

• BF Goodwrench KM2

Votes: 48 49.0%
  • Goodyear MT/R with Kevlar

Votes: 22 22.4%
  • Super Swamper LTB

Votes: 28 28.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

POLAR_JEEP_04

NAXJA Forum User
I'm thinking about going to 35x12.50x15 from my 34x10.50x15 LTBs and my choices are the new KM2s, the new MT/R with Kevlar, and the swamper LTBs. My LTBs were and still are sweet but the wear like butter. Another XJ in my club runs 33x12.50x15 KM2s and we both love the way they preform. No experience with the MT/Rs. I'm looking for something I can DD and wheel difficult terrain, I know you cant have your cake and eat it to but did BFG and Goodyear bridge that gap??? or should I stick with the LTBs and get used to the fast tire wear???

it sounds like a huge hassle at first but honestly a set of tires and wheels strictly for offroad isn't a bad idear - with the cost of tires it could pay for itself quickly and you would always have a nice fresh set of tires when you go wheelin'

it sounds like a huge hassle at first but honestly a set of tires and wheels strictly for offroad isn't a bad idea - with the cost of tires it could pay for itself quickly and you would always have a nice fresh set of tires when you go wheelin'

agreed. Having your cake and eating it too = two sets of tires/wheels. Street tires or ATs will last so much longer and will save you money in the long run. You'll buy two sets up front (obviously) but they will both last more than twice as long...

What's your street to offroad mile ratio? how often do you wheel?

YMMV

I try to wheel once a month sometimes I skip a month some times I wheel three or four times a month. also I'm in Ohio so no major rocks, but I try to stay out of the mud. so mostly waterfalls, hills, gullys, creeks, and alittle mud and small rocks

I went with the KM2 because of the manufacturer specs, 30% stronger side wall ect. I only have one trail ride on them so far and as of now I have no opinion either way. Lately my jeep sees the street once a week tops so I'm thinking I sould have gone with a trail only tire.

I still have to try them out when it's dry out.

I have run many sets of BFG's!! They are my favorite all around tire and I just bought a new set of KM2's!!

From what limited info I've read on the new MTRs, they are an awesome radial tire. There's nothing wrong with the KM2s, but I'd give the Goodyears a try. Bias Swampers suck balls on the street, as you already know. The two sets of tires thing is a great idea if you have the room to store the 2nd set and can afford the outlay of cash.

I once backed over one of those 4" steel spike strips that usually have the "Do not back up- Severe tire damage" sign next to them, in 35 x 12.50 x 15 BFG AT's. The whole rear of the truck bounced up. I thought I had backed into someone. But the BFG's did not pop, didn't even have a scratch on them. I have been sold on BFG AT's every since.

I had 2 sets of tires for my street/strip Mustang.
I hated changing tires the night before track day, and then again the morning after.
It got to be such a PITA that I ended up running the strip tires full time.
I've contemplated 2 sets for my Jeep, but, the memory of the tire change hassles have kept me from going that route.

I've read from repuatable sources great things on the MTR kevlars, and have seen the punisment the KM2's will tolerate. Personally of those 2, I would go KM2's because I've seen first hand how tough they are, and how well they work.

Have you considered the radial offerings from Interco?
I currently run TSL radials, and they are an extreamly tough tire.
My next set I will be trying the SSR radials. I would go TSL radial again, but I want to run a 35x10.5 which is only available in the SSR.

Good luck.

The SSRs are a mixed bag. I have a set of 35"x12.5"x15"s that I bought off of a buddy who upgraded, he went through 3 sidewalls on them, mostly on slab/contour rock ledges. Part of the problem was folding sidewalls getting pinched between rock and rim, part of the problem was his hammer-down driving style in a V8 Bronco. I have seen them wheeled numerous times, the traction is excellent in just about everything. I have wheeled them three times myself since buying them, and I like the way they perform. They balance out just okay, I have a lot of weight on a couple of them, and they don't ride nearly as well as my 35" MTRs.

had I not gotten a really good deal on them, I probably wouldn't have bought a set of SSRs. The TRX-US seems to get better overall reviews as far as Swamper radials goes.

I'm thinking about going to 35x12.50x15 from my 34x10.50x15 LTBs and my choices are the new KM2s, the new MT/R with Kevlar, and the swamper LTBs. My LTBs were and still are sweet but the wear like butter. Another XJ in my club runs 33x12.50x15 KM2s and we both love the way they preform. No experience with the MT/Rs. I'm looking for something I can DD and wheel difficult terrain, I know you cant have your cake and eat it to but did BFG and Goodyear bridge that gap??? or should I stick with the LTBs and get used to the fast tire wear???

Why not go with the Krawler at 35in.

I'm deciding between KX's and Creepys.

OF those I vote for the GY MT/R's They wear great, not loud on pavement, Can go through pretty much anything. Best all around tire you can get really. Great in the snow.. more than I can say for BFG's

Back