• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

YJ 30 questions

Archdukeferdinand

NAXJA Forum User
HP Disco 30 out of a YJ, I want to take the R & P spider and carrier and put them into a HP30 non-disco housing out of a '97 XJ.

Should work, right? Not too up on YJ axles so please point out what problems I might see.

you cant just toss the gears into a diff housing, you will need to reset the gears and all that good stuff

you cant just toss the gears into a diff housing, you will need to reset the gears and all that good stuff

Wait...seriously? So do the gears have a reset button like the old nintendos or what?

Sorry, I was looking for compatibility issues, I thought maybe there was a difference in axleshaft size or pinion length between the 2. I've got a line on a YJ 4.10 front axle for less than I could get r&p for my 30 but its a disconnect axle and I'm not too sure on the differences. Hate the idea of ending up with a big paperweight.

Both axles are reverse cut D30s. I see no reason at all for the gears not to fit the XJ housing.

If you swapped the whole axle, the only real difference is the 2 pc axle shafts on the pass side, the size of the wheel joints, the disconnect housing, and the fact that it is set up for a leaf spring front end and not a 4-link.

Be sure to press the reset button on the pinion shaft (located on the yoke end in that little hole) before you use the new gears. That will ensure proper fittage to the 97 axle.

-Ron

Last edited:
Both axles are reverse cut D30s. I see no reason at all for the gears not to fit the XJ housing.

If you swapped the whole axle, the only real difference is the 2 pc axle shafts on the pass side, the size of the wheel joints, the disconnect housing, and the fact that it is set up for a leaf spring front end and not a 4-link.

Be sure to press the reset button on the pinion shaft (located on the yoke end in that little hole) before you use the new gears. That will ensure proper fittage to the 97 axle.

-Ron

Yeah, that was my take on it. HP30 save for the leaf perches & disco shafts so why not swap? I've got a '97 housing from my XJ that I blew the spiders and r&p in so I want to rebuild...

Dude is selling a complete 4.10 YJ front for $100 but it was under a jeep that burned up so all the plastic parts in the shift motor and all got melted. I just wanted to make sure that the parts I want (ring, pinion and carrier) will fit. I'd pay more than $150 for those parts alone, I just wanted to make sure there hadn't been any spline count changes or anything like that between the SUA YJ axles and the later quadra link XJ housings.

My friend, if that axle got hot enough to melt parts on it I would pass on it. One never know what on it is weakned by the heat that will fail a few miles down the road,.... but then again it might not. Personally, I would pass on it.

My $0.02

As stated above, the YJ HP D30 gears are the same as the HP XJ D30 gears and carrier. They will fit, but neet to be set up correctly to the new housing. I have scored a few sets of 4.10's out of 4 cyl. YJ's for cheap. I have had reputable shops set them up and they performed great. The fire issue would make me wonder a bit about any heat/stress damage

it will work im doing the same swap

Yeah, I'm going to take a look at the axle today. I'm wary of the fire issue, but if it didn't get hot enough to ignite the gear oil I don't think it'd be hot enough to do anything to the metal, plus that's at the disconnect I don't think the diff saw as much heat.

The truss I'm putting on the XJ 30 housing will get the axle hot enough to melt plastic as well...

Back