• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Now it sounds like a diesel?

XJ=Fun

NAXJA Forum User
I did my oil change yesterday using the over sized k&n oil filter, and valvoline vr1 20-50, i used this oil because it is the thinnest vr1 that i found, and a friend of mine told me that it contains higher zddp which is good for our motors.But my jeep now sounds like a freakin diesel, is this oil far to thick, and will it hurt my motor? Because if it will i will change it right away

Also it seems to be louder in the morning, after driving around for a bit it is still audible, but not as much.:smoker:

with the weather getting ready to warm up i would go thinner, thats a bit thick buddy.

I cant believe the timing!

I was just coming on to ask the same question. I just changed my oil to shell rottela-T 5w-40 and I thought mine sounds like a diesel now too! is that ok?

i run 10-30 and my engine is quite, its also a '90 with 209k. I would change back to what your engine normaly runs, any new noise could suggest your drivetrain does'nt like your new choice of weight. stick with what you know i always say. im not incredibly knowledgeable when it comes to oil weights, i just run what i know works. its usually doesnt get under 30 here in the winter but like i was saying its getting a little warmer 103 here right now.

Last edited:
Every Jeep 4.0 I have ever heard sounded like a Diesel.

Some worse than others though.

not my '90 or my '00...maybe its a NY thing?
thefinger.gif

For start-up protection you should run 0wXX/5wXX/10wXX.

Back