• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Oil in 231

Jump This

Just another minion!
What is the oil capacity of the 231 transfer case?

I may have done a dumb thing. After installing the SYE in my son's Jeep, I just went ahead and installed it without adding the oil first. Now I can't get the f'ing inspection bolt off in order to add the oil (what the heck size nut is it? 1 3/16" ?)

Anyway, all I need to do is add the ATF and I could have been able to drive it around. Oh well, the beer in the house is cold!

some do in fact use the 10 mm hex and some are 30mm. those are the only 2 sizes i can concretely vouch for and they're pretty obvious which one is which :gee:. if you don't have a 10mm hex... the double nut trick applies. and i won't lie, i've used an adjustable wrench on the 30mm and gotten it off just fine multiple times.

some do in fact use the 10 mm hex and some are 30mm. those are the only 2 sizes i can concretely vouch for and they're pretty obvious which one is which :gee:. if you don't have a 10mm hex... the double nut trick applies. and i won't lie, i've used an adjustable wrench on the 30mm and gotten it off just fine multiple times.

Its the larger of the two.
:D

I did try using an adjustable, but can't quite get a good enough bite to be able to put much torque on it....

Capacity is 3.2 qts, but as I have Oldsheimer's you should check 5-90's website.

When I replaced my chain with it in the Jeep it only took 2 quarts.

Keep putting the ATF in until it runs out-then its full.

Just be sure to fill from the top hole,:)

Wayne

Hmmmmm.......Kelly's site says 2.5 pints.

That's why I put that stuff online - most of us can't be arsed to remember it!

All specs are taken from FSMs, which is why the list of model years is so spotty. That will be corrected as I accumulate FSMs - anyone got any they want to get rid of?:laugh3:

Oldsheimer's again--thinking of the AX15.

That's why I put that stuff online - most of us can't be arsed to remember it!

All specs are taken from FSMs, which is why the list of model years is so spotty. That will be corrected as I accumulate FSMs - anyone got any they want to get rid of?:laugh3:
I have one for a 96, I really have no need for, as I have access to All-Data, now. PM me if it's one you need.

I see you've added a warning to that effect to your sig - probably not a bad idea!:confused1:looney::wow::doh::twak:
I thought it was only fair!:confused1

Thanks. If it's for a 1996XJ, I already have one (I just checked.) If it's for another model, let's talk!

Cool beans bro, no , it is for 96 XJ 2WD/4WD.

Back