• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Toyota tranny help

Oatmeal

NAXJA Forum User
I know, "why the heck is he posting this on a Jeep board?" Well, the trans in my '85 4X4 p/u was making a ton of racket (very unsettling) in all forward gears except 4th (countershaft bearings) so, I swapped in a "spare" trans I had laying around. Now it's really quiet except in reverse, I think it's got a chipped tooth!..... somebody shoot me and put me out of my misery! My question, anybody know of a good (cheap) shop (or anyone) that can rebuild my trans (out of the vehicle). I've looked around and the going rate seems to be well over $700 (yikes)..... that's way out of my price range. Oh, yeah somewhere in the 626 area code would be great (am I asking too much?). Thanks for any info you guys might have........Hans

JohnX said:
You drive much in reverse? :D
No, not really but, you should hear (and feel!) it! I was almost ready to yank it out again but, I drive close to a hundred miles a day (forward) and I don't think my other trans was going to hold out too much longer. I'm a pretty good wrench but, I just don't have the desire to try and tackle a trans rebuild (after looking over my FSM).......Hans

Last edited:
I know what you mean. A t-case is as deep as I have any desire to go. Besides, transmissions can get to be a real PITA. We did one for my friends Camaro (6 speed), and you wouldn't believe the hell we went through trying to find a deep reaching 8 inch puller! Finally had to pay through the nose at Tri County just to get one gear pulled off.

Well, I bit the bullet and took my trans in to have it rebuilt (the noisy one with the good reverse) and got it back yesterday, it cost me $666.09. Jeez, 666 on Friday the 13th! I hope that's not an omen of bad luck! I put it in today and all seems ok....whew! Thank god, for credit cards and buudies that have buddies that own transmission shops! I'm ready for Coyoyte Lake now!---------Hans

Back