• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

shock mounting help please

drknyt

NAXJA Forum User
so i just turned my MJ D44 into a XJ D44 and i used ruff stuff perches and shock mounts, well the lower (ruff stuff) shock mounts are too high on the axle so sitting normal the shocks are almost all the way compressed, if not all the way, i don't want to move the mounts down because i always hang up on them on rocks and love that their out of the way, so i was thinking i could make a upper mount on the inside of the jeep, only thing is this whole cage thing that they're bolted to, also the passenger side shock upper mount is like right under the back half of the rear seat because that shock is mounted infront of the axle, so i dont know what to do, i could maybe move the passenger side lower shock mount to behind the axle but i know that having a shock on either side helps a little with axle wrap, so i need some help/opinions, i tried searching but found nothing that helped with my situation, here are a couple pics, anything help is great!
0516091059.jpg

0516091100.jpg

Got any steel? Can you do basic fab work? It looks like it'd be pretty easy to make a couple of triangles out of 3/16" steel to drop your lover mounts a couple of inches, then box it in for strength. Did you weld it yourself? Break out the welder again and see about putting together a couple of drop brackets. I've got the factory ones on my D44, and though they hang pretty low, I haven't smacked them on anything yet.

You could also look at bumping your lift up an inch or two in the rear to allow that shock more room to compress, maybe a combination of the two.

i wanna keep them high up cuz i hit my old factory ones on everything! i would like to go a little taller but money is a factor right now, i was thinking about moving the upper mount up through the floor but don't have any good ideas with that big bracket thing plus the passenger side one is right under the back seat...

It seems your only options are: Get shorter shocks, or make some through the floor top mounts. You won't really have any choice but to move the passenger side mount to the rear of the axle if you choose this method. One of those crossover tubes that allows you to relocate the upper mounting point of the shocks might help but with the length of your shocks it wouldn't be enough.

i'll be moving it so both shocks are on the back side of the axle, im making some mounts that stick up through the floor with 1/4 inch 2x2 angle iron, thanks for the help guys

It looks like they need moved further out on the axle.

You could do a JKS cross over mount in the rear. It will allow you to move the upper shock mounts inboard at a few different locations. I would think you would be able to move them far enough to make it better.

I went this route after I trimmed my lower shock mounts. The only bummer is you need to reroute the exhaust then. Kind of a hassle either way, huh?

Back