• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Road trip time!

CanMan

NAXJA Forum User
So plans got axed for Memorial weekend again...

So me and my buddy Matt plan to take a road trip somewhere. Got a few ideas floating around.

So what would be cool to go see? Nothing in the city really, more landmarks, outdoors type stuff. We got Thursday after work to Monday.

One idea is drive to Montana, see some cool stuff, and make a B line to Mt. Rushmore. About a 17 hour drive straight there, could pull that off in 4 days.

Other idea we were tossing around is going to Lake Shasta. Head down Thurs. night, get a hotel in Medford, see the Oregon Vortex deal Fri. morning, and possibly go to Crater Lake.

Is there still too much snow up there to see anything this time of year? Ive got no clue, but seems like there would be.

IF it is, then head down to Lake Shasta and see the lake, dam, and the caverns. Get a hotel or find a campground for Fri. night. Wake up early Saturday, head west toward the Redwoods and spend the day there. Possibly head back up 101 through the Oregon coast and stop off by Coos bay, Oceanside, ect.. Maybe camp at TSF sunday night or B line it for home.

Definitely have the second idea more planned.

Anything else we should see or do?

Uh... you taking Friday off and I don't know about it yet?

hahaha... gotta hate it when the boss is on your forum sometimes. lol

Eli, Since I have NO idea where you have and have not been already, it makes it kind of hard to provide input. So I am going to assume you havn't been anywhere before :confused:

I would put my preferances in this order (of what you mentioned):
1. Yellowstone
2. Mt. Rushmore
3. Redwoods
4. Shasta
5. Crater Lake

I have been to all of them in the past.
Above that list, but probably a little too far for the time you have would be Bryce Canyon.

THere is tons to do in Yellowstone, not quite as much as Mt. Rushmore.

IF I was to go down to the Redwoods, I would spend my time there and then on 101 all the way home (nice drive). I would not see Shasta or Crater Lake in the same trip as the Redwoods. They are both nice areas but they don't compare to Rainer, Baker, St. Helens in many ways in my book.

Just my .02
Michael
Michael

Eli, S h a s t a lake is way down right now. If you head that way you should check to see if the Caverns are open as when it gets too low the docks end up out of the water. Also it's not as pretty as it could be unless you like a lot of reddish dirt shoreline. I do enjoy the drive from Redding over to the coast though. There are two ways to go: 299 through Weaverville and Willow Creek ( bigfoot country) or if you really want to see off beat California 299 to Douglas City, Hiway 3 through Hayfork to Hiway 36, 36 to 101. 36 will take you back a 100 years and you will smell the smoke from numerous water pipes as you drive along...
If you go that way stop at Whiskeytown lake just West of Redding for a great view and if you stop in any towns between Redding and the Coast be sure to be friendly and use your best country drawl...
I grew up in the Redding / Trinity County area so I can provide lots of suggestions if you want them ( I also know some people who can rescue you when you get into trouble).

Apparantly S h a s t a Lake = Shasta Lake ;)

Michael

Apparantly S h a s t a Lake = Shasta Lake ;)

Michael

The mods tied h a s t a to that emoticon at some time in the past. I'd gues some one over used it in their posts... H a s t a L a V i s t a !

Well LAST memorial day weekend I went with the PNWBA down to SE Oregon, the Owyhee forks area and the Alvord Desert. Incredilby scenic area, some mild wheeling and lots of wide open, speed limitless roads.
Planning Thread
Pics Day One
Pics Day Two and Three

What you could do is go I-82 clear down to I-84 then follow 395 south to Burns. Then SE to Fields, OR (North of which is the Alvord Desert. Then east on the Whitehorse Ranch Road to Hwy 95, north to Rome (check out the Pillars a few miles west of the hwy, pretty amazing) Then head generally SE to the Owyhee forks, fording I think six "rivers" along they way. Then north through JV, back to Ontario (either via hwy or taking Succor Creek rd which is very scenic) then back west.
Just an idea

Back