• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

35's and minimal lift... and 4.56's?

Mike H.

NAXJA Forum User
currently running 33's on 2.5" of lift.
axles are geared at 4.56, and I run a 4:1 in the transfer case.
Thinking real hard on 35x10.5's.
Thinking of doing the shackle angle mod, which results in approx 1" of lift, and would get 1" longer coils up front to level.
So, the rig would sit at approx 3.5" lift.

So;

Anyone running narrow 35's on a small lift?
What troubles did you run into?

Anyone running 35's with 4.56's and 4:1?
Pretty sure on road will be ok... experience anyone?
Off-road (mostly rocks) does anyone hate the gearing/tire combo?
I'd like ro run 5.38's, but new axle housings are not in the budget at this time.

In going to 35's I would do heavy axles on the d30 and 8.25, so, any input on that would be welcome.

ktmracer419 is running 37's on like 4 inches and i think he ran them with less lift than that. You might try to PM him about it.

My buddy ran 37's and 4.56s on his rig and it was right on with the speedo. He was also hauling 500 pounds worth of stereo equipment! He didn't seem to mind

I would suggest going with 4:88's since you have a 4:1 xfer case. If you spend most of your time off the road I think you can do 5:13. With that level of lift you will have to do some serious trimming of the fenders. Be prepared to cut past the pinch seam in the back and weld or otherwise reattach the sheetmetal together. You're gonna need to extend the bumpstops to keep from hitting the inner fenders in the front and several other things. If you can't find a shop to do gears locally, I'm not too far away.

i run 6" and 35" claws and rub the crap out of the front. i also run 4.56s with stock t case and it crawls awesome....

5.38s and 35s would be.....mmm..... interesting... esp with the 4:1. you would be screaming around...

If your already geared to 4.56 stay there no reason to regear, with the 4:1 you should be pretty happy on 35s. Make sure you do the proper bumpstopping or you will be cutting threw your tires with your fenders. Other than that just go have some fun see how things work and go from there.

i run 6" and 35" claws and rub the crap out of the front. i also run 4.56s with stock t case and it crawls awesome....

5.38s and 35s would be.....mmm..... interesting... esp with the 4:1. you would be screaming around...

I run 5.5" and 35" MTZs. No rubbing on the front except at full stuff while turning. I also only run 4" of uptravel.

I run 4.88s with an AW4 and stock t-case. I'd say it crawls pretty damn good, 4.56s would be pretty ok, but 4:1 would be pretty awesome.

I'd say 4.56 and 4:1 should be plenty low for 35s.

overdrive crawling is where it's at, don't ya know??!? haha... I think it's more useful having super low gearing out west whereas here on the East coast super deep gears can hurt. That's just as I understand it from my experience/what I've heard.

But to the OP, on a well-built 30/8.25 IMHO you'd be able to run 35s and have a pretty strong setup. I can't offer much for an opinion for the gearing, seeing as like I said, East/West coast styles/types of wheeling seem to differ greatly. On road though, the 4.56s and 35s should be fine. Last season I ran 4.88 with 37s and it wasn't bad at all. I probably would have benefited slightly from a bit more gear, but I think you'd do just fine with the 35s/4.56s

HTH :)

I ran a 97' with 35s and 4.56s, AW4 with stock t-case gears and it crawled lots of Southwestern rock trails just fine, and was also great on the high-way. the only thing I should have done (and am doing with the new xj) is lowered the lift a bit, and spent more time trimming and folding the rear wheelwells, and bump-stopping. It sounds like you have a plan!

I run 5.5" and 35" MTZs. No rubbing on the front except at full stuff while turning. I also only run 4" of uptravel.

I run 4.88s with an AW4 and stock t-case. I'd say it crawls pretty damn good, 4.56s would be pretty ok, but 4:1 would be pretty awesome.

I'd say 4.56 and 4:1 should be plenty low for 35s.

yeah i just dont have any bump stops and long shocks.

my tires only rub on the fender well... not the fender it self.

Thanks for all the reply's.

I've already cut/folded a fair bit to run the 33's, so a little more is not an issue for me.
I've also already bumpstopped, and, even with an additional 1" of bumpstopping I certain uptravel will be ok on pave and gravel roads.

256offroad...
How do you like those KM2's?
I'm sorta considering bias ply's, but, I do like radials for the pave.

Back