• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

steering clunk

LilRhodyXJ

NAXJA Forum User
alright i have two stange noises actually that just started to occur around the same time and i havent been wheeling in months so i kno i didnt destoy anything...
when i turn (sometimes) i get like a clunk and soemtimes can feel it in the steering wheel..sometimes its just like a creaking feeling..like not a high pitch creak but seems liek soemthings dragging...my power steerings fine, and everythings nice and tight...also my steering wheel seem to be kinda turned right even when im goign straight...it doesnt ever effect driving its just annoying and sounds bad...

another noises is from my rear... i belive its my leafs but im not sure..i alos get a clunk or a thud from them but not on every bump...its just more when im turning on an unlevel ground or beginning to flex
thanks for the help
andrew

On the front check all your tie rod ends. I have a clunk that I can feel in my steering as well right now and it is my tie rod end that is bad. School just started back up for me here at Cal Poly SLO and I haven't found the time to fix it. In the rear the clunk is often due to worn shock bushings on the bar pin end. However I did have a clunk before that turned out to be the exhaust rubbing. On the front have a buddy turn the wheel on pavement while you look and listen for the clunk and you should be able to find it. For the rear examine the shock bushings and look at the exhaust for rubbing. Hope this helps.

haha im in the same boat as u bro school started up so stuff can only be fixed on weekends when im not working

well the shocks are all new...and i did have someone turn the wheel while i layed under but it sounded like the steering stab. which cant be right its on there nice and tight and how could it cause that??
i will check the tie rod end though ..thanks

any other ideas this is killing me

Trackbar? If you have a stock track bar and mount, the bolts that hold the mount to the body can and do, come loose (they may seem tight but they may need to be torqued down). Also the track bar tie rod end (TRE), may have actually wallowed out the hole in the track bar mount (frame end),which can lead to popping or clunking while turning. The trackbar at the axle end can also cause some noise, so make sure it is tight.

Also check the torque on the control arms.

Back