• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

'96 transfer case?

Jump This

Just another minion!
I spent the last couple of days tracking down some problems with my son's
'96. One of the problems is with a bent output shaft from the TC. I figured I'd just replace the shaft since he already has the Hack n Tap set up on it.
Just one questions though....how the hell does the tail housing/shaft come off? There are no C-clips or snap rings that I can see.
Since I live in the middle of nowhere I was hoping to stop by a junk yard and just pick up another shaft (or maybe an entire TC if it ends up being cost effective.)
Maybe I should plan on picking up a FSM too..... :D

Any help here?

I,m guessing you want to remove the"slinger" and already have the "boot" off-that was removed with the end of the shaft when you went to the H&T.

FSM says--Use a brass drift punch-hit (tap) at 4 positions around slinger

If you are replacing the bent shaft-with a standard or HD SYE shaft then you dont have to be careful with the slinger or the seal retainer.

Next there is the seal--use pry tool or collapse seal with punch
Now the slinger locating washer and locating ring-they should slide off
Next the rear bearing snap ring is removed.Then the bolts in the extension housing and then your into the guts>>>>

Wayne

Back