• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

carrier bearing caps

dogsled1

NAXJA Forum User
I have a D44 trac-loc (yeah, I know, but it was free) that was pulled with about 20K miles on it. I was thinking to swap it into my rear at the next service, using my existing gears.

The regear kits that I seen do not seem to include the carrier bearing caps, which brings up my question. The bearings on the trac-loc look good, can I swap it in and reuse my existing bearing caps (which are ok) or should I replace bearing caps and or carrier bearings?

Also just swapping the carrier should not affect the ring gear/pinion relationship from what I read so that should not be a problem right?

If you are talking about the races, then most rebuild kits will come with them. If you are actually talking about the main caps, that hold the carrier in, you don't need to change those. Main caps can't be switched from housing to housing anyway. If you only chage the carrier, then there maybe a slight chance you would have to shim it, to get the proper gear pattern back.

If you only chage the carrier, then there maybe a slight chance you would have to shim it, to get the proper gear pattern back.

If I have to reshim, may not be worth the effort, I may just wait until I regear and get a truetrac since I will have to replace carriers then anyway.

thanks,

Back