• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Gauge cluster

Well, you could replace the cluster and pray.

Or, you could share some info with the forum, such as year, engine, mods, and whatever else you think might be important, and then the members here could maybe give you some ideas.

I havn't had a clear plastic cover for a long time.

dependant on which gauges are not working, it may be the sending units to each non working gauge, it could be bad gauges...a little more info will help to diagnose the problem

I have a cluster like this but '93 style
2588_60763166497_501741497_2021758_1530956_n.jpg
like I said I replaced the sending units and wires for the temp and oil and the temp never goes over 50 and the oil is always past 80 no matter what. Those are the two that I figured may be affected by it being cracked. The others work fairly well.:piratefla

There are lots of sending unit options depending on : year, engine, and original cluster (idiot lights or gauges). When I did this swap, I got sending units to match the year of the donor vehicle gauges, and specified a gauge unit, not the warning light unit.

With the oil sensor, the "light" sensor has a single value, off or on, at the factory setting, to turn the light off or on. The "gauge" sender, has a range of values to move the needle across the sweep of the gauge.

Like joe posted, give a little more info...Your jeep year, engine, etc...Also, when you got your sending units, were they new or off the gauge donor? Did you specify for a gauge set-up or warning lights?

We're glad to help...just help us help you (a la Jerry McGuire)

Steve

I Just got this Xj (i have two) this one I have not had long. So I started looking into all it's info to post for you guys to help and found out that it has had a engine swap cause the engine is from a 95 ZJ and when I got the new senders I got them for a '93 XJ I6. Could that be the problem?

I Just got this Xj (i have two) this one I have not had long. So I started looking into all it's info to post for you guys to help and found out that it has had a engine swap cause the engine is from a 95 ZJ and when I got the new senders I got them for a '93 XJ I6. Could that be the problem?

You would want the senders for a 93 XJ to match the wiring harness and instrument cluster of the 93 XJ.

There are idiot light senders (on/off) and gauge senders (variable resistors).

What senders do you have? What instrument cluster do you have? Please be descriptive.

are some of the xj's gauges powered by vacuum? cause my oil pressure and temp gauge either one work some times. and my temp gauge acts like a turbo boost gauge, its kinda fun.

but basicly when i start off in like 1st or 2nd gear, the needle jumps high until i push my clutch in to shift.

All the XJ gauges I have ever seen are all electric. None are mechanical (pressure tubes). I know that AMC Jeep sort of ran with GM standards on gauge resistance values, and these numbers may have changed in 1991 when they went to the Mopar computer and engine system.

My gauges fritzed out once when I removed them for an engine swap and some wiring upgrades. It turns out I had connected the main connector into the pod - this one is angled and towards the middle, not the vertical one on the outboard side - wrong. It is one of the only automotive connectors that I have ever seen that you could plug in upside-down. I turned it around, made sure it was secure and the've worked great since.

Back