• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

slightly squeely in tight turns (in 2WD)

philip_g

NAXJA Forum User
Have been noticing with increasing frequency that the XJ is squeeling the tires in tight turns and oddly enough there aren't any posts with similar problems. Any ideas? All I can come up with is someone changed the rear diff fluid before I got it and perhaps the diff requires a friction modifier, maybe it's something worse.

Id pull the cover and check it out. $15 bucks for fluid and $5 bucks for some RTV sealant. If the fluid smells burnt, there is something wrong. To find out if it is a limited slip, get both rear wheels off the ground, put in neutral, and spin the back tires. If the turn opposite, its open, and the spiders may be worn. If its a LSD, take a good look at the clutches. If it looks alright to you, add some friction modifier when going back together, and go from there. HTH.

Are you sure it's the tires squealing? Mine starting squeaking on low speed tight turns, and it was the front axle U-joints going bad.

Back