• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tight steering woes..continue

UPDATE: Ok, so put in new LCA's/UCA's. (moog) Jeep feels better, castor at +6.5. But this did not affect the steering much. Still "tight" and not returning to center. Next, disconnected everything. Wheels move freely. Steering wheel attached to box: STILL stiff. OK. When an grabbed an A-1 Cardone Box (I know, I know) and threw it in there. Put it all back together and bam- WAY easier to turn. Wheels return to center again. The problem is this stiff box.

It is the second one of these boxes I have installed. They were both tight, as I've explained. Like, literally, the shafts are sooo tight. The castor could not overpower them I guess. I really wanted to love these boxes. They feel quality and I do feel the company is top notch. The Cust. Svc. Has been excellent. But these two boxes have been too tight for my rig. I put about 500m on it and it was still tight. Maybe it needed more idk.

Now, I have read that later-model XJ came with tighter boxes. Is this true? Do I have one of those boxes maybe? I don't know much about that.

So, I'm back to square one. The good- my rig is drivable again, and not scary on the freeway. The bad - I have a crap box in it. I figure I have six months to figure out a solution lol. I think I may start (yet another?) thread on steering boxes. I need a good steering box!!

My options:

Have my original/stock one rebuilt (where?)
RedHead
PSC
Omix-Ada
Crown

Any info on these appreciated. Prob do a new thread. And yes, I have googled endlessly on these, and still no conclusive consensus. Reviews all over the place.

For such an important part of the rig, I wish we had an easier time of finding solutions for these..

I've had my PSC since Aug '17 and it still only takes one finger to turn!

PSC would be my recommendation as well.

Call them up and you will probably get a real person who can give you intelligent answers.

Back