• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2000 xj rear hatch doesn't open

2000xj4x4

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 2000 cherokee 4x4 and i noticed it was getting harder to open about a week ago but now it wont open at all. is this a common problem??
it wouldnt be a vey big deal to just replace the latch how am i going to fix it if i cant get it open?

Any ideas???

2000 xj rear hatch wont open please help!!!

I noticed it was getting harder to open but now it wont open at all.
is this a common problem??? any solutions????? Keep in mind the hatch is closed right now so its not like i can just swap out the latch.

Please help!!!!!

Re: 2000 xj rear hatch wont open please help!!!

pull the handle and while it's pulled, smack to the left and right of it and it should pop open for you. All that's wrong.....if its the latch.....is that it is probably out of adjustment or worn. Smacking next to the latch has always worked for me.....yeah, its a 97+ problem too.

you should(can't picture up inside the rear bumper right now) be able to get to the bottom portion of the latch from up under the rear bumper. it's two studs/nuts sticking down directly below the latch. take 'em off and the hatch should open.

Push in on it and try the handle. Or tap it while trying. Once you get it open, you will have to remove the rear panel trim, and adjust the latch. Same thing happened to my 2000. The latch itself has either come loose, or it the locking mechanism needs to be adjusted.

Either way you need to push or pull to get it open. Also try locking and unlocking it to get it open.

53guy said:
pull the handle and while it's pulled, smack to the left and right of it and it should pop open for you. All that's wrong.....if its the latch.....is that it is probably out of adjustment or worn. Smacking next to the latch has always worked for me.....yeah, its a 97+ problem too.

Yep, my 2000 had the same problem. Just yank it to the left and right while pulling on the latch and it should open.

i have the same prob on my 98. for a while it worked if i pushed on the bottom of the hatch while pulling the handle. now mine wont open at all, so im gonna have to try hitting it!

Here we go again...

Thou Shalt Not Double Post.

Doing so is bad netiquette - not only does it take up server space and bandwidth, but you're likely to lose something important because of the disjointed posts...

5-90

The tailgate lock on my 2000 was not opening with the keyless clicker.
However, I could still open it using a key.

I pulled off the rear cover and took off the lock.
It was moderately corroded.
I cleaned it with some pb blaster, then some wd-40.
And finally, some white lithium grease.

It works great now.

However, I'm not sure how you're going to manage this one if the release lever is not opening the rear. good luck!

2000xj4x4 said:
thanks is there any way to adjust it with the hatch closed

Not that I know of. You have to remove the interior plastic trim off the hatch, to expose the latch. It is pretty self explanatory, if you look at the latch.

5-90 said:
Here we go again...

Thou Shalt Not Double Post.

Doing so is bad netiquette - not only does it take up server space and bandwidth, but you're likely to lose something important because of the disjointed posts...

5-90

Merged... but please don't do it again 2000xj4x4.
Billy

I think im going to have to drop my hitch so i can get to latch bolts. once i get those loose it will come open and i should be able to adjust it.
I just hate to have to take off my hitch because i cant fit my hands inside my bumper to get to the bolts. Thanks for the help.

Dude not the latch on the floor. The latch in the door itself. Hope you didnt already drop your hitch. Just pop off the plastic hatch panel, and the latch mechanism is in clear veiw.

There's a bunch of info on this topic including step by step with pics; try the search button and your get all the reading info you could ever want. The solution is right along the lines of what BenH is telling you.

btw, welcome to NAXJA, noobie. :thumbup:

Back