• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Built a new rack

juryrigjalopy

NAXJA Forum User
Someone posted a while ago a nice budget tube rack that was welded to the gutters so I decided to try my own. My last rack, surco, went into orbit on the 101 late one night with 4 sheets of plywood on it so I wanted this one to be a bit more stout. The most difficult part was getting the cross bars somewhat level. I'm gonna screw some hardwood strips to the top to make a platform but I'm trying to find some for the right price (free). Its made out of 1"&1.5" 16 guage tube.

Isn't this what normal families do on Easter Sunday?

DSC01393.jpg

DSC01389.jpg

I was gonna just build some rock rails then I decided to build a rack....so I build a rock rail rack. It only works when I'm upside down though.

How does it attach to the roof?

Yes, I used the factory mounts (I think there was only two per side that were still good, nut on the inside dissapeared from the other ones when I took it off) as well as 8 screws into the roofs per side and it ripped them all out when it went into orbit. I was planning on getting the gutter mounts but they cost more than all the steel for this project.

karstic:
I welded the tube running lengthwise to the gutter.

Looks good, did you have the factory roof rack rails rip off?

I just redid my rack using the factory mount and not the gutter mounts.

i wanna build something like this but i think i'd spend the extra dough and buy some gutter mounts. and make some side rails and expanded metal bottom so i can carry stuff on top w/o sliding off.

looks good... but what can you carry up there? are you gonna put some tube running the length of it so you can put things up there or?? but it looks nice!

I needed it to carry a kayak so that works out great right now. I am planning on screwing down some wood planks to it for a floor so that I can carry more stuff but Im waiting for my room mate to come across some good hardwood from his shop.

looks good... but what can you carry up there? are you gonna put some tube running the length of it so you can put things up there or?? but it looks nice!

I needed it to carry a kayak so that works out great right now. I am planning on screwing down some wood planks to it for a floor so that I can carry more stuff but Im waiting for my room mate to come across some good hardwood from his shop.

oh well it makes sense then for a kayak... just dont get the crappy particle board! i had it on my first rack and it is crappy even when you paint 4 coats on it lol

Back