• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Engine ID

dagr8tim

NAXJA Forum User
I was looking at my Haynes manual and it indicated there should be a stamping/label between the 2 & 3 cylinders.

Does anyone have a picture of the tag or a better indication of where the tag is? I can't seem to find it.

Also, it mentions a tag on the radiator support that contains information. Is that a sticker or an actual tag? I couldn't seem to find that either.

A "stamping" found on something cast will invariably be on a surface that has been either milled or ground flat, so it can be easily stamped/engraved/milled/whatever and read. Here's one off of an engine block I have out in the garage (In the attachment. Sorry it's not resized - I don't have that utility loaded on this machine.) The screw on the left side of the picture is the forward side of the distributor, and the stamping pad is directly under the aluminum you see at the top of the picture (it's a short block on a stand. Picture taken at 4x zoom.)

The "tag" you're referring to on the radiator support (should be the upper crossmember) is typically an oval aluminum tag, rivetted down at both ends. Sorry, I don't have any notes on how to read one (but your Haynes might.) If your Haynes is mentioning the engine stamping ID, then it should tell you how to read it as well. You may need to go after the pad with a wire brush to be able to read it, tho.

BlockStamping.jpg

A "stamping" found on something cast will invariably be on a surface that has been either milled or ground flat, so it can be easily stamped/engraved/milled/whatever and read. Here's one off of an engine block I have out in the garage (In the attachment. Sorry it's not resized - I don't have that utility loaded on this machine.) The screw on the left side of the picture is the forward side of the distributor, and the stamping pad is directly under the aluminum you see at the top of the picture (it's a short block on a stand. Picture taken at 4x zoom.)

Thanks for the info. I dug around for about a half an hour, and could find no evidence of a plate or any stamping into the flat surface.

I'll have to get at it with a wire brush tomorrow.

Thanks for the info. I dug around for about a half an hour, and could find no evidence of a plate or any stamping into the flat surface.

I'll have to get at it with a wire brush tomorrow.

A wire brush can be your friend on things like this. Now that you know where to start looking, your search should go much faster!

Back