• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Blowing my dome light fuse

KaiserMan

NAXJA Forum User
I just swapped in a 97+ headliner with the speakers built in into my 90 Limited. I plugged the dome light into my stock wiring harness. The wires colors are different but it is the same plug. Speakers are still unhooked.

Last night with half of the interior trim off my dome lights worked fine (not the rear one but the ones in my over head console) as well as my clock, compass and temp.

Today after I finished putting in my trim, I noticed they are out. The fuse will only blow when a door (swich) is open. If I put a new fuse in with the doors closed they work.

I'm assuming I pinched a wire for the door switches, but where is the harness? I don't want to take everything back out if I don't have to. I don't know if it runs along the roof, under the carpet etc.

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks.

Something else is wrong. The door switches complete the dome light circuit to ground. If that wire were pinched to the body, the light would just stay on all the time as if the door was open. I would look where you plugged the harnesses together and check with a ohmeter which wire goes to the switches on the body plug. It should show continuity to ground when the doors are open and no continuity when they are closed. Then on the headliner plug side, find which wire makes the light go on when you ground it to the body. Those two wires need to be hooked together.

I just had a switch short out on me last month, which led to some pretty sweet interior lights. (Lights came on and off by themselves. If they were on when the doors were closed, they would go out if I opened the door, then go back on once it was closed)

But the wiring for the door switches are behind the kick panels for each side. If you see the switch when you have the door open (that little black circle), the wire goes from behind that through a rubber grommet into the cab. If you remove the kick panel where the hood release is on the driver side, you will see 3 small wires coming down and go into a connector that connects to the main wire harness under the door sill.

There isn't any way you pinched a wire for the door switches. There is something else going on here.

I would uplug the wire harness from the chassis side to the dome light, and use an electrical tester and see what each pin does. Then figure out what each pin does for the dome light plug, and make sure everything is in the correct orientation.

One place to check if you have lighted vanity mirror(s) is around the area where the visor mounts screw in. I went through the short scenario at this location years ago when I did the headliner. It's been so long I don't remember exactly under which conditions the fuse would blow. Your wiring will be different in any event but I assume the possibility for a pinched wire remains.

What I don't get is that everything worked last night with the passangers side trim on. Today, I put the drivers side trim on and now it keeps blowing fuses. I removed all screws that I put in today incase I pinched something, didn't help.

If it's not the door swiches (though the only time that fuse blows is when they are open) I'm not sure what it is. I'm going to try unhooking the new dome light and see what that does.

One place to check if you have lighted vanity mirror(s) is around the area where the visor mounts screw in. I went through the short scenario at this location years ago when I did the headliner. It's been so long I don't remember exactly under which conditions the fuse would blow. Your wiring will be different in any event but I assume the possibility for a pinched wire remains.

I thought of that. Pulled both (both are lighted) and check the wiring. Both looked good. I also check the overhead console, and it seemed fine.

It was the dome light. I unplugged it and no more blown fuses, They must have switched the wires around during the years.

I still can't figure out why is was working last night with the dome plugged in though.

Back