• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Neutral Switch

mrogers

NAXJA Forum User
Hi all I'm new, could not find the newbies say hellow bit so i though id just say hi then hit you my first question.

Anyway, this morning my 94 XJ 4.0 Auto started fine as per normal and I decided to pop into the local garage for some ciggerettes on my way to work. When I came back turned the key and nothing. I had ignition lights, could hear the fuel pump click in then when I turned to key to start just clicked and nothing. After going round the engine bay and pushin things on and checking for loose wires about 9 times, on the 9th time she started (struggled) but started.

I been doing a search on here and have found lots of usefull possibilities.

Can I jsut confirm if next time it happens, i I turn the IGN on and then select reverse, walk round the back and see the reverse lights on then it rules out the Neutral Switch on the Gebox?

1 thing I did notice was that now she is running the ammemeter shows just below 14 when it was showing just over 13 before. I did stick a multimeter on the battery and it always informed me of 14+ volts on idle.

Now my battery is new but I starting to think I may have gone overboard on it and am wondering if it may be having a detrimental effect. Basically my battery is a Bosch 069 battery with 70ah and 630 amps cold crank, will this kill the starter?

Hallo. The fact that the solenoid of the starter is clicking , means the NSS and the starter relay are OK.
But maybe you have to check all the battery cables and the grounds.(use a DMM for the tests)
A 70 ah battery is alright for our generators and starters.
You mean the lying Voltgauge not an Ampmeter? :dunce:

'92 XJ

Last edited:
If you haven't done so already, remove battery cables and major grounds like battery to body and body to engine. Polish them up with scotchbrite or sandpaper, clean them with spray electrical or brake cleaner and reassemble them. It's also a good idea to do that with the starter connections. If you have those lousy battery terminals that are only meant for temporary use, take that stuff apart and clean it all the same way. And just because your neutral switch works in the reverse position does not mean that it works in th park and neutral position.

Things to check:

NSS
Ignition switch at the foot of the steering column.
Starter relay on the passenger side firewall.

Just for grins, with the gear selector in Park and the parking brake applied, key off, jump/arc from the large primary positive cable where it connects to the starter to the positive terminal on the starter solenoid. If it cranks the engine over you will know 1) the battery is good, 2) grounds are good, 3) cable ends are good, 4) Starter and solenoid are good.

x3 on looking at the battery/electrical. When the starter doesn't have enough power to fully engage the solenoid it will make a rapid clicking like you described.

Check & clean battery terminals & battery posts. Common problem on all three of mine. Terminal looked clean & when you pulled the terminal off it looked like the center was burned out (inside of terminal).

Seems fine now, no idea what it was still scratching my head untill it happens again. Mind you my "Fix it" it list is pretty large already so i'm glad I can remove this for now :)

Back