• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Steering column gauge mount?

xSUx SGT BAKER

NAXJA Forum User
Well, i have been looking around at Chrysler vehicles in the junkyard lately, and noticed that a 2000 dodge rams steering column trim looked strikingly similar to my 95 Cherokees trim.

So I came home and found http://store.summitracing.com/partd...924666+4294908110+4294822088+115&autoview=sku

I have never seen this used on a Cherokee, and searching didnt come up with anything either. Is there any obvious reason that this swap wouldn't work? It would be nice to have an extra place to mount a gauge. I already have http://store.summitracing.com/partd...925228+4294908280+4294908279+115&autoview=sku (still not installed) and im trying to figure out some places for more gauges :shhh:

good lord. why on earth would you need that many gauges. all you should need would be oil pressure, water temp, and volt meter. no need for any other gauge.

what are you running a hiddin turbo that you need a boost gauge or something?

good lord. why on earth would you need that many gauges. all you should need would be oil pressure, water temp, and volt meter. no need for any other gauge.

what are you running a hiddin turbo that you need a boost gauge or something?
No, I have a water temp gauge, oil pressure gauge, volt meter, trans temp gauge, and an ammeter. I also plan to get a fuel pressure gauge and an oil temp gauge in the near future, so yeah i have a ton of gauges :looney:. I do not have the full instrument cluster in my jeep either. So, if this does in fact fit, it would mean less fiberglass work for me to do :yelclap:

well thats pretty cool, i wish i would have seen that before i bought some of those gauges :doh:. I do have a separate tach, but it isnt a 2&1/16 in. gauge. Im thinking that i might have to go to the junk yard and just buy the 2000 dodge ram trim an test fit it myself:chef:

i should add, upgrading to a full instrument cluster from the idiot cluster is dead simple...
x2

and why do you have so many gauges? paranoid are we?:shhh:

my Sunpro Tach is mounted on the steering column.

i should add, upgrading to a full instrument cluster from the idiot cluster is dead simple...
I know it is, and I plan on getting one. But, i still trust mechanical gauges over the electrical ones that are in the cluster:dunno:. i have one in my 89 and it is a little bit off when compared to my mechanical gauges.

x2

and why do you have so many gauges? paranoid are we?:shhh:
Paranoid is not the word, its much worse:puke:. I really like to know whats going on, and 3 extra gauges over stock is not that crazy:gee:.

Cool keep the thread updated. I have been wanting to add a mechanical oil pressure gauge for awhile and haven't been sure where to put it.

What year is your XJ? Consider buying a ScangaugeII. Not sure what all OBDII transmits though

I believe mine is OBDI. From what i'm reading, to use scangaugeII, your vehicle has to be 1996 or newer. I have recently installed a full gauge cluster, so that scangauge would just be giving me the exact same info, with the exact same amount of possible error (correct me if im wrong). I want the reliability of mechanical gauges anyway, thats just my personal preference.

Cool keep the thread updated. I have been wanting to add a mechanical oil pressure gauge for awhile and haven't been sure where to put it.
If you are just looking for a spot for one gauge, i would go for the A-pillar pods. There is less work involved to install, and you don't have to feel bad about hacking up a $30 pod. http://store.summitracing.com/egnse...+4294908279+4294925228+115+4294923437&NeXID=5

I don't like the pillar guages, had them in some other vehicles and would prefer a colum mount.

This is what it ended up looking like. I only took off what was interfering with the fit.
100_0566.jpg

100_0567.jpg

100_0568.jpg

looks like hell I think:anon:. I'm thinking about using so bondo or fiberglass to make it look better. Also, I'm waiting on the A-pillar gauge pod install because i have no headliner :tears:

P.S. sorry for the huge pictures:eyes:

Just do a two A-pillar gauge pod from AutoMeter. or drill a hole where there is the blank 3" x 4" square. thats where I have my Transmission temp gauges and I have Oil Temp and Pressure in the A-Pillar.

Just do a two A-pillar gauge pod from AutoMeter. or drill a hole where there is the blank 3" x 4" square. thats where I have my Transmission temp gauges and I have Oil Temp and Pressure in the A-Pillar.

I don't like the pillar guages, had them in some other vehicles and would prefer a colum mount.

some people dont like them. I do have to A pillar pod, but i needed another spot:rof:

Back