• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Do I need new axle shafts if bearings are bad?

deskjockey

NAXJA Forum User
I have an unbearable howl that increases with and decreases without load. Turns seem to be unaffected. I believe it may be the rear axle bearings. I replaced the seals a few years ago as they were leaking. When I pulled the axles they looked a little bit worn. A little bit of pitting, but nothing that I thought would pose a problem for wear with the new seals. Maybe the term is 'brindled'??? What exactly does that mean? Anyways, me thinks my axle bearings should be replaced. If my axles are a touch worn should they be replaced? I don't go offroad much anymore so I don't want to upgrade or throw any more cash at this thing than I need to. It's an 8.25 on a 96xj with 169,000 miles. Also, are there any write ups on installing the rear bearings?

Depend the 8.25 could have full floating axles, the rollers in the bearings run directly on the axle shafts. So yes you could need new axles.

Check your centre section. If you have C-clips, you have bearing rollers riding directly upon the axle shaft, and you'll want to check it thoroughly.

If you have no C-clips (retainer plates using the same bolts/nuts as the brake backing plates,) then the bearings are pressed on, and ride between races. Take a Dremel, cut off the old bearings (carefully!) and have new ones pressed on. Replace the seals while you're about it - since you can't just pop the seals off and on... Rollers between races will not cause any wear on the shafts proper.

5-90

langer1 said:
Depend the 8.25 could have full floating axles, the rollers in the bearings run directly on the axle shafts. So yes you could need new axles.

I could be wrong but if the axle shafts are rolling ontop of the bearings then its a semi-floating axle, and Im pretty sure that all Dana 35s and 8.25 are this design in which case it is very possible that if the bearings are exremtly worn it could have scored up the bearings

My 2000 with the Chryco 8.25 developed a real loud droning sound that turned out to be a bad wheel bearing. When I pulled it apart, my first clue to the problem was metal flakes in the drained axle lube. Then, once I pulled the axle shafts, I found that one axle had "brinnelled", (there were pits and flaking on the surface of the axle shaft where the bearing rollers ride on the shaft.) The flaking and roughness of the surface was QUITE obvious.

The fix, of course, was a new axle shaft, a new bearing, and a new seal. The shaft was unfortunately, fairly expensive, but the problem WAS solved and the noise went away.

You can't beat fixing it right the first time, but if your budget is tight, they do sell "repair bearings" that are offset so that they contact a different point on the axle shaft.

I've not seen any feedback on their use, but they are available for not much more than the price of regular bearings.

lilredwagn said:
You can't beat fixing it right the first time, but if your budget is tight, they do sell "repair bearings" that are offset so that they contact a different point on the axle shaft.

I've not seen any feedback on their use, but they are available for not much more than the price of regular bearings.

Not for this they don't, theres only one finished spot on the axle for the bearing to fun.

langer1 said:
Not for this they don't, theres only one finished spot on the axle for the bearing to fun.
Hmm. Perhaps that's why no one has offered any feedback on them :eek: . I'll have to see what part number the guy at Pep Boys had when he tried to sell me them a couple months ago.

I think they're "offset" in the same manner as a two-lip shaft seal or an "offset" shaft seal - they'll ride on the same machined/hardened surface, just on a different bit of it.

However, if the shaft is already brinnelled, it's toast anyhow. The surface hardness has been wrecked (either the temper ruined or the surface has work hardened and is now too hard to ride a bearing on properly...)

If your axle is a C-clip, I'd probably start thinking about either converting over to a true "semi-float" axle with retainer plates, or start collecting spare axle shafts...

5-90

Anybody got any spare shafts they're willing to part with...for a fee of course. Aside from pulling the shafts, how can I tell if I have 27, or 29 spline shafts? My xj is a 96 if that helps.

Don't have any extra ones that are not tent stakes.
Heres a picture though.

8inch_axle.jpg

deskjockey said:
Anybody got any spare shafts they're willing to part with...for a fee of course. Aside from pulling the shafts, how can I tell if I have 27, or 29 spline shafts? My xj is a 96 if that helps.
I have a set of 8.25 29 spline shafts.

Back