• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

8.8 Clearing this up!

89heepxj

NAXJA Forum User
Through many a google research and forum wandering I have thought about an 8.8 for the rear of my heep. I hear the 5 on 4.5 bolt pattern is the same. Will a ford exploder 8.8 bolt on to a cherokee? Some people say yes and some say no. I herd it was spring under as well. Can someone please clear this up. I have searched a lot on the topic. Google and such. I was told everything lines up by a guy that owns a ford and chrysler junk yard.

You need to weld new spring perches and shock mounts, setting your pinion angle in the process. You need to adapt the brake lines, and setup new e-brake cables.

but you must not have searched very hard. there must be a minimum of 1,000 threads covering this in great detail

As was stated before, there is LOTS of info on this in the tech forums.

If you have welding and grinding capability it can easily be done but it does require changing all of the mounting locations (spring and shocks) and new flange for the DS input, and it is 1" narrower over all that can either be fixed with spacers or left alone?

It is a good axle, but does require more work than a D44 or 8.25 (either which are bolt in from other cherokee's).

Michael

Sorry for hasta. I suck at searching. And i found a lot of stuff saying it will bolt right on. Should the width be fine? My buddy over on WAVJC had to get his shortened. I don't know what he got his 8.8 out of though. He has a yj.

EDIT: Narrower? That wouldn't be bad at all. I think I might just do that. We will see though. Thanks. Im going to search for pictures. of this being done.

Last edited:
Through many a google research and forum wandering I have thought about an 8.8 for the rear of my heep. I hear the 5 on 4.5 bolt pattern is the same. Will a ford exploder 8.8 bolt on to a cherokee? Some people say yes and some say no. I herd it was spring under as well. Can someone please clear this up. I have searched a lot on the topic. Google and such. I was told everything lines up by a guy that owns a ford and chrysler junk yard.
your junkyard guy doesnt know his stuff, I had to torch of the stock mounts, weld on new perches, used the ford brakelines,they mated to my xj stuff, still havent hooked up an ebrake. pattern is the same,but ford rims must be machined to fit the front hubs ,if you plan on using them. The ford pumpkin is off center to the passenger side, so in some cases it may make contact with the exhaust. Mine did. I also needed and adapter to bolt the jeep shaft to the ford flange. part number can be found easily by searching,oh yeah made some shock mounts by using chevy shock studs and an extra leaf perch cut in half

My buddy over on WAVJC had to get his shortened. I don't know what he got his 8.8 out of though. He has a yj.
More than likely out of a full size truck. JIM.

Well. I will cruise the junkyard next week and see what i find. Thanks for the help!
96 to 2001 explorer all came with disc brakes. The pull and save here wants 100 bucks for one. Gears that come in them are 3.55 3.73 and 4.11. Some came with trac lock too. Make sure you take the u bolt plates and take some of the brake line beyond the rubber line to the body. I took the stock spring perches cut them off and used them on the top. Being careful when I removed them. I did nothing to my brake system other then swap in the axle. And it stops alot better have not had any problems going from drums to discs.

the 8.8 was used in several ford vehicles from mustangs to f-150s to exploders there are several different widths available and diffrent tube O.D.s..... you want one out of a V8 explorer DO NOT get one out of a V6!!! they look like a 8.8 but they are not! there are lots of them out there so you should not have 2 get one out of a F150 if you do you will have 2 get it shortened wich is a pain in the a$$ and extra cash that you dont have 2 spend if you just get one out of a explorer. dont pay more than $200 i got mine for $150 they are not gold

the 8.8 was used in several ford vehicles from mustangs to f-150s to exploders there are several different widths available and diffrent tube O.D.s..... you want one out of a V8 explorer DO NOT get one out of a V6!!! they look like a 8.8 but they are not! there are lots of them out there so you should not have 2 get one out of a F150 if you do you will have 2 get it shortened wich is a pain in the a$$ and extra cash that you dont have 2 spend if you just get one out of a explorer. dont pay more than $200 i got mine for $150 they are not gold

where did you learn that v6 exploaders do not have an 8.8? All of them do. The only difference I have heard is that the v6's do not have as strong a retaining pin as the v8 model. But, I have never actually seen that to be verified. They both still have an 8.8, it is almost the only axle that ford uses anymore.

Here is some more info that will help you out, I used the door codes to find my 8.8 that way I knew the gearing and I didn't have to get on the ground every time I found an Explorer. It may be different in your are, but If you are looking for a 4.10 geared 8.8, I came across about 15 3.73 8.8s before i found one with 4.10s.

http://www.greatlakes4x4.com/showthread.php?t=719

The only 8.8 with the smaller cross pin are the cars like the Mustangs, Crown Vic and Lincolns. All the trucks and SUVs use the 7/8 pin. The cars all use the 3/4. And there are difference from the V8 to V6 axles. Ford is trying to save money so they keep the stuff the same. 8.8 with a Super 88 axle kit is as strong as Dana 60 they claim.
I meant there is no difference between v6 and v8 axles.

I found a 8.8 out of a 97 explorer for 180$ from disk to disk. I have to pull it myself. Is that a good deal?

Back