• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Proportioning Valve: OEM style or Aftermarket?

Root Moose

NAXJA Forum User
I need to make a decision on what prop valve to run with my brakes on the XJ.

I've replaced the rear drums with Suzuki Sidekick calipers.

People that swap ZJ rear disks on XJs usually use the internal valve out of the ZJ prop valve assembly in their XJ prop valve assembly.

Supposedly this changes the bias from 50/50 (XJ) to 70/30 (ZJ).

I am installing WJ brakes in the front. Supposedly the prop valve internals out of the WJ is also swappable. I don't know if it is the same unit as in a ZJ.

I bought a Wilwood prop valve with a knob for changing the bias. Maybe I should install that? The OEM stuff is fixed position so there is no tuning though (easy for me). Also, no knob and screw mechanism to get fubar in winter salt.

Which would you do?

Has anyone taken the time to tune their brake balance with an adjustable unit? Did you just do lockup passes on a parking lot or back road to set the bias?

TIA

I run WJ front brakes with Explorer rear brakes.

I had a Wilwood adjustable prop valve in for a while.

Now I have a stock XJ prop valve back in, instead, and am satisfied with it.

Do you have a theory on why it seems to work? The WJ calipers flow enough fluid to make a 50/50 split desirable?

Does the tail come around when you "panic" stop?

I don't think I buy 50/50..the front for sure brakes a lot more. The rear grabs, but it doesn't lock up.

I'm also using a WJ master/booster, dunno if that makes a difference.

Yeah, I dunno about the booster. Wasn't there something about the 97-2001 XJ having more or less the same booster?

I guess I'll leave the prop valve alone for now - so much other stuff to sort before the Jeep goes back into daily driver mode anyway.

Its not the same booster, but the specs are pretty similar - both dual diaphram, and the same size plunger.

Do you feel your brakes are insufficiant now?

Go ahead and try putting the Wilwood adjuster in if you have it, just remove the o-ring from the XJ prop valve.

The axles and suspension aren't hooked up currently so I haven't driven it.

I'll try that.

Back