• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

LARGEST TIRE SIZE FOR 3" LIFT

joey99jb

NAXJA Forum User
In the market for some new tires....currently have 245/75R16 Goodyear Wrangler MT/R's. I am thinking about making a change to the 265/75R16 TOYO OPEN COUNTRYA/T. (Might get a decent price for them) Wanted to know from you guys if this will FIT my setup or if I should just stick with 245/75R16 TOYO's.....what do you think?

Oh yea, one more note. I have a slight slight vibe at 50mph exactly with my current setup. Would going to 265/75R16 make vibes worst? Thanks

2000 Jeep Cherokee Sport
3" Rusty's Full Lift
DynoMax Super Turbo Exhaust

you can fit 32's or 33's if you dont mind doin some cutting and bump stops then you also gotta look at your gearing.

now if we answered these questions it would take all the trial and error jeep moding..

dont know about them tires.. im running 33 10.5s on a 3inch but my fenders are trimmed.
could be the front dshaft thats causing the vibes.. take it out and see what you got/

keith h

It depends on whether you are willing to trim your fenders or not.
We've run 33" tires on 3" lifts with proper fender trimming and bumpstopping.
With no trimming at all on a 2000, I'd stay with 31's. (JMO)

Your 245's will rub at full stuff with the swaybars disco'd now if you haven't added some extra bumpstop. 265's will be worse.

There's only so much room in the XJ fenderwell. To keep a bigger tire from rubbing without fender trimming requires more bumpstop. The bigger the tire, the more bumpstop needed. There is only so much bumpstop you can add with a certain amount of lift before you have no up travel in your suspension.
Then you gotta run more lift. Then you raise your COG and make all of your operating angles on driveshafts, steering linkages, control arms & trackbar even steeper. That requires even more parts & more expense to get under control.

There's a balance there that lends to good ride, handling and stability. Going outside that balance makes the jeep perform worse and can be unsafe.

The 265's will actually slow your drivetrain down a bit and you'll probably notice that your vibe will move to a higher rpm than before.
I personally would go with a SYE/CV shaft combo to fix the vibes...
Late model XJ's are sensitive to driveline vibes.
At 50mph, I would make sure it's not a tire related vibe though too.

Ok What about 255/75R16's then...best of both worlds?? I don;t want to have to start trimming and upgrading my suspension yet. Just looking to replace my tires and maybe fit a larger size on if I can.

skyjackedxj96 said:
37's with a 2 inch body

Did you read that on the internet? It must be true :D So then a 6" lift should fit 44s right? :D:D:D

AARON

I wish I could run 37's on a 2" lift....: ) I have a 93 with 3" lift. I run 31's open country A/T. I could have gone 32's but like my present set up. As for your vibration put your tires and lift on and then see what happens. You may need a SYE.

Thanks guys for your help. I am still trying to decide between 255/75R16 and 265/75R16 TOC A/T's. Like I said before I don't wanna have to start cutting the fenders or installing an SYE if I can help it, but bigger tires I think would "look" better, I think the XJ will sit better on them. Seeing what some of you guys are running with a 3" lift definitely gives me more confidence in getting the 265/75R16's but I'd like to hear from someone who actually has this setup and see how their XJ rides

joey99jb said:
Thanks guys for your help. I am still trying to decide between 255/75R16 and 265/75R16 TOC A/T's. Like I said before I don't wanna have to start cutting the fenders or installing an SYE if I can help it, but bigger tires I think would "look" better, I think the XJ will sit better on them. Seeing what some of you guys are running with a 3" lift definitely gives me more confidence in getting the 265/75R16's but I'd like to hear from someone who actually has this setup and see how their XJ rides

Don't be getting confident in your tire size based on the comments of these guys. You can believe that any one of those guys running 35-38" tires on a 3" lifted XJ are trimmed HEAVILY.

Running 35-38" tires on that much lift would not only require some serious fender trimming, but cutting on the inner fender structures as well- otherwise, there would be zero up travel in the suspension...

Don't get me wrong here- I'm all for cutting to fit big tires on small lifts! If you get too big a tire on there without proper trimming & bumpstopping, you'll be knocking your flares off and damaging your tires and uni-body if you disco and flex up real good.
Most of us started in the same boat though. Fender trimming came more by necessity once we were determined to run 33" and up tires.
I was scared to even cut the plastic flares (let alone sheetmetal) on my first XJ years ago. That's a faded, distant memory now...

The 2" body wasn't good enough for me man. I had to go with a 3" "body" lift on my XJ, wore the plasma cutter and welder out that day. ;)

35s are the biggest ive seen on 3.5" .
just cut away.
bumpstop and there ya go.
i run 35s on 5.5 and rub alot in the upper fender area, i haev bumpstopped enough though.

Back