• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Transmission Cooler Line Removal Question

Logan-XJ

NAXJA Forum User
Greetings:

I'm replacing my radiator. It looks like my 92 4.0 aw-4 has a tranny cooler. (hard lines below lower raditor hose)

I was wondering if the fluid will all leek out of the trans when I take apart the fittings.

Secondly, If the fluid doesn't leek out, do I need to re-install the lines before I drive to work in 11 hours?

Thanks for your help.

Best,

Logan

For anyone searching this thread:

When I removed the fittings some blood red trans fluid came out, maybe 10-12 oz tops, and thats including what was in the radiator.

Go for it!

Thanks for your input. I have seen your write-ups, help, and overall display of knowledge on various forum's online and I must say THANKS!

Your helpful input is appreciated. Keep up the good work! If i ever break down in CA you'll be getting a call from me.

Also - I like your website - A few weeks ago I wasted hours at work oogling

:cheers:

Thanks for your input. I have seen your write-ups, help, and overall display of knowledge on various forum's online and I must say THANKS!

Your helpful input is appreciated. Keep up the good work! If i ever break down in CA you'll be getting a call from me.

Also - I like your website - A few weeks ago I wasted hours at work oogling

:cheers:

OK - Now I know yer tuggin' my leg - I don't have that much on the site to ogle! Don't feel like putting much up there, I'm going for steel, not chrome.

But, seriously, thanks!

Its true you're leaving much of the research up to the reader, but your website has provided me with tons of tips and tricks that have led to extensive research.

I was reading on another forum on another post you made a comment about replacing the little adapter between the trans cooler lines.

I replaced my rad starting at like 11pm, so my local parts store was closed. I didn't heed your warning, and I used the old connectors.

As you can guess, I have no more coolant leeking, but the crappy 1992 plastic connectors didnt work, but they didn't totally fail either.

Without being disconnected from the pressure, they allowed red (thankfully not burnt, contaminated :cheers:) trans fluid to spray all over my beautifully clean engine compartment.

I was only running it for maybe 1 minute before I realized the leak, and shut off the engine.

NOW a 3 dollar connector set has turned into a 3 dollar connector set + $25 in trans fluid.

My local parts store pulled up in the computer that my AW-4 should use ATF+4.

Back