• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

EGR pipe on Renix engines

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ron Hyslop

NAXJA Forum User
Anybody know what thread is used on the ends of the egr pipe? My plan is to abandon the egr system and plug the holes in the manifolds, but have been unable to find out what the thread is.

I didn't. I pulled the EGR off, made a new gasket out of a flattened peice of aluminium (from a coke can, actually) and installed it, blocking any flow.

I don't suggest trying it.

When I was working on a past project I found some plugs locally that fit, but I don't recall what size they were. I never finished that project and don't know how they would have performed. They were expensive (for plugs). I think I paid about $15 or $20 for 2 (one for the intake and one for the exhaust).

I know when I got a replacement exhaust manifold it came with a plug where the egr tube was to go, so if you contact somewhere that sells exhaust manifolds they may be willing to send you just the plugs. I think the tube is the same thread on both ends.

Good Luck!

Please don't continue this discussion (that's why I locked it.)

On the one hand, I know that the engine will run better (and actually cleaner!) without the EGR valve, per CA test reports (failed/fixed EGR.) I should still have the before/after reports somewhere.

However, it's advocating an illegal mod (like removing the catalytic converter - although, in our case, it's the EGR that makes it largely necessary...) and we can't condone that here.

Consider this your warning - and please don't open the topic again. I'd hate to have to get nasty about it (especially considering the essential useless of the EGR valve on our low-compression engines, and the fact that there are a few more useful, more productive, and considerably less damaging alternatives to the wretched EGR system.) As long as the EPA sez it has to be kept, it has to be kept.

Source? - 42USC85 SS., 203(a)(3)(B)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back