• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

serpentine belt issues Please Help

ThE HiV

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 1993 XJ 4.0. I lost power steering all of a sudden today. popped the hood and realized that one of my pulleys had flown off. its the one right next to the AC compressor. Now, my AC is dead, and I dont feel like getting a new pulley. Is there a belt for no AC. would I run into any problems If i just re ran the new belt and just skipped the AC pulley, or do I need to remove the AC to get it out of the way. Is there anything to worry about when pulling the AC unit out or is that straight forward. Hopefully someone here has done this before and could shed some light on the subject for me.

thanks

The pulley that flew off is the idler pulley. I'm guess this is important. Could i run the ac bypass pulley and do straight over to the PS pump pulley or is that bad? I know I probably sound like an idiot but I've never had to deal with these before

As long as you don't decrease the belt wrap on the other pulleys, and don't change the direction anything turns, and can get a belt the correct length, you should be all right. You could use a rope to figure out how long the belt needs to be.

The simplest method is to fix it correctly. Get a new idler pulley at the auto store. I think the pulley is actually cheaper than a new belt.

The simplest method is to fix it correctly. Get a new idler pulley at the auto store. I think the pulley is actually cheaper than a new belt.

Yup, either way you need that idler, if you want to remove the a/c compressor thats additional cost on a separate item. Just get the new idler and be done with it.

Back