• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

maybe i suck at math?

NW-ZJ-SCOTT

TEXAS-JT-SCOTT
NAXJA Member
Are the 8.8 shafts stronger than Dana 44 shafts? Yes, also the bearings, pinion and ring gear are also much larger.
Axle shaft Strength and output torque rating by Warn and 4 Wheeler

The axle shaft strength tested by Warn Ind:
F8.8= 6,500 (lb. ft.) close enough to 30% to me....
D44= 4,600-5,000 (lb. ft.)
D35C= 4,000-4,300 (lb. ft.)
-------------------------------
COT: Continuous output torque rating
MOT: Maximum output torque rating

(Numbers from January edition of Fourwheeler, page 60.)
Dana 35 rear axle COT: 870 MOT: 3480
Dana 44 rear axle COT: 1100 MOT: 4460
Ford 8.8 28spline COT: 1250 MOT: 4600
Ford 8.8 31spline COT: 1360 MOT: 5100
Dana60 semifloat COT: 1500 MOT: 5500]

Source:
http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums/showthread.php?t=371713&highlight=superior+88

I'd be curious to see what the 31 spline super 8.8, and 33 spline D44 shafts break at. I decided to go 44 between the 2, but had the option for either.

Let's have some fun, shall we?
"My finally cost on the 8.8 was $850 with 4.10 gears and complete with e-brake cables."
I used your new fancy thread to pull up this quote from a real forum (Pirate).

From memory, I think that makes you off by 100% in your quote in the other thread.

FWIW, I put my 8.8 in complete with 4.10s LS and E-brake cables for less then $300.

Are the 8.8 shafts stronger than Dana 44 shafts? Yes, also the bearings, pinion and ring gear are also much larger.
Axle shaft Strength and output torque rating by Warn and 4 Wheeler

The axle shaft strength tested by Warn Ind:
F8.8= 6,500 (lb. ft.) close enough to 30% to me....
D44= 4,600-5,000 (lb. ft.)
D35C= 4,000-4,300 (lb. ft.)
-------------------------------
COT: Continuous output torque rating
MOT: Maximum output torque rating

(Numbers from January edition of Fourwheeler, page 60.)
Dana 35 rear axle COT: 870 MOT: 3480
Dana 44 rear axle COT: 1100 MOT: 4460
Ford 8.8 28spline COT: 1250 MOT: 4600
Ford 8.8 31spline COT: 1360 MOT: 5100
Dana60 semifloat COT: 1500 MOT: 5500]

Source:
http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums/showthread.php?t=371713&highlight=superior+88

My rear axle is bigger than both of yours combined.

I appreciate the info. Since I was the person who asked about your data, I assume that this was posted for me?

What I find most interesting is that of the results shown there STILL is nothing close to 30% difference in strength.

Why do you think it is that the results vary so much?

Michael

Oh, and for a very nice opinion on JU, Matt has a quote he should share.
-Lyle
Why would it matter what someones Opinion is about a forum?
That Post on JU has more Useful information, then any of you who attacked me are able to provide.

All i see here lately is Seniority arrogance. Why not get the useful information out and ditch the Ego?

Im here for technical information, and a good time wheelin with locals.
how old are you guys?

come get the axle.. anyone need a d30 with 4.88 pinion gear. it has no ring gear. it went :explosion

come get the axle.. anyone need a d30 with 4.88 pinion gear. it has no ring gear. it went :explosion
wow your still around? :cheers: just pop up out of no-where! haha i figured you lost your internet and put your money in your rig and took off back to so-cal!:roflmao:

Why would it matter what someones Opinion is about a forum?
That Post on JU has more Useful information, then any of you who attacked me are able to provide.

All i see here lately is Seniority arrogance. Why not get the useful information out and ditch the Ego?

Im here for technical information, and a good time wheelin with locals.
how old are you guys?
Stop being a petulant child.

-----Matt-----

wow your still around? :cheers: just pop up out of no-where! haha i figured you lost your internet and put your money in your rig and took off back to so-cal!:roflmao:

no not yet. thinking about it after getting my truck broken into 2 times within the last 3 months.might stick it out up here. depends on how work goes. plus there is no way i can get enough money to rent a truck and trailer and drive all my stuff out of here. the gas would be NUTS... got the d30 out of the jeep just dont have 2 more jack stands to get the 8.8 out..

no not yet. thinking about it after getting my truck broken into 2 times within the last 3 months.might stick it out up here. depends on how work goes. plus there is no way i can get enough money to rent a truck and trailer and drive all my stuff out of here. the gas would be NUTS... got the d30 out of the jeep just dont have 2 more jack stands to get the 8.8 out..
dude that sucks, i remember when i picked up the bumper from ya, thinkin i hope to god your rig dont get stolen or broken into. i know that side of powell can be shady sometimes. i've already had one car stolen, and parted out. i hate thieves..

i moved over to 136th area now, and picked up another 89, about to start on swappin my old lift and stuff over. if i had jackstands that would be even remotly close to tall enough for that beast i'd pony em up.. thinkin about it, what DO you use to support that thing?

i have a buddy that used to live over off of 136th. they actually moved from a very nice house there, only because there cars got broken into so many times. they just couldn't take it anymore. thats a bad area for that crap.

So far so good. But i keep my jeeps in a secure location on the east end of gresham. so i dont have the problem.

If you'd like to steal the durango, Im sure insurance will pay more then i paid for it.. so im game hahaha

Ne 136th, white durango, Red Atv permit...have at it. :)

I'd still like to be there to see a 30 spline shaft snap before a 28 spline. It's bs until i see it with my own eyes.

What he said. Something is wrong with the data there is no way a 28 spline 8.8 is stronger then the 30 spline d44. With that I would be very weary trusting any of the numbers.

Back