• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

creaking popping noise in steering

Ben824

NAXJA Forum User
So I have started to notice more and more lately that I get a creaking/popping noise coming from my steering I am guessing because I know I hear it when I turn the wheel. Any ideas?

Tighten up your trackbar, and the trackbar bracket on the frame.

Inspect the frame around the steering box for any cracks. Have someone turn the wheel while you look at the steering box to see if the box is moving at all.

I had this problem and then noticed a small crack on my frame next to the sway bar mount below the steering box; the box flexes and cracks the weak unibody. I did the JKS SBS to correct.

Does it only make a creaking noise in freezing conditions?
Mine done this but it just needed lube.

Tighten up your trackbar, and the trackbar bracket on the frame.

Inspect the frame around the steering box for any cracks. Have someone turn the wheel while you look at the steering box to see if the box is moving at all.

I had this problem and then noticed a small crack on my frame next to the sway bar mount below the steering box; the box flexes and cracks the weak unibody. I did the JKS SBS to correct.

X2. I had the same problem and I found out my trackbar bracket was moving. The holes had wallowed out, as I couldn't tighten the bolts anymore. I put an RE bracket on and haven't had any noise since.

Back