• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Draining Diffs - Any cons to it?

dumbagain

NAXJA Forum User
is there any cons to draining and refilling my differentials?
just a daily driver...'00 XJ

just wondering because i am sure the majority of people out there probably never do it in a lifetime. (i know there's alot of stupid people out there)

none if you do it right..

My 2000 had 70k miles on it when I bought it, and when I changed the front diff fluid it was obvious that it had never been done as it still had the factory (a grey color) RTV on it. The fluid in that diff looked like crap and was very dirty. Change your diff fluid.

is there any cons to draining and refilling my differentials?
just a daily driver...'00 XJ

just wondering because i am sure the majority of people out there probably never do it in a lifetime. (i know there's alot of stupid people out there)

Hey, are you calling me stupid! Just kidding. Only con is getting the cover to seal up again. And then there is the RTV vs. Paper Gasket issue. And then the Synthetic vs. Dinosaur oil. Well, the other con is it usually stinks pretty bad.
Hasta

it was obvious that it had never been done as it still had the factory (a grey color) RTV on it.
The RTV I use is gray, doesn't necessarily mean it was from the factory. But, at 70k, unless the previous owner was some sort of maintenance nut, I would also believe it was factory.

Only con is getting the cover to seal up again.
Never seen this as an issue. Put RTV on, and it will fill in all the voids. Unless you bend up the cover very badly, I don't see this as an issue.

It smells really bad.
Yes it does. Drained my front diff at 80ish thousand miles, left it in his garage for a couple days, couldn't get the stink out of there for a week.

Now, imagine how 32 year old diff oil smells.

thanks...thats what i figured.

what about removing the fluid without taking the cover off.
i know you can't observe the gears that way but its better than nothing right.

Stick a hose in and suck out that thick shit? You would never get it all. If you do it like that, you may as well just check and top it off. Any particles would hav settled to the bottom and you won't get them out. Just do it the old fashioned way. You can do it!

Ya, take the cover off, and spray it all down with brake cleaner and get all the grime out of there. Let it evaporate, then put it back together.

The owners manual should specify changing the diff fluids as part of a regular maintenance schedule. So, DO IT! :)

Wanna get fancy? Buy yourself a Ruff Stuff custom diff cover with drain and fill holes. Now you'll never have to change the RTV gasket again or worry about it splashing everywhere. http://www.ruffstuffspecialties.com/catalog/differential-covers-c-5.html

Ya, take the cover off, and spray it all down with brake cleaner and get all the grime out of there. Let it evaporate, then put it back together.

If you use brake cleaner to clean all the gunk out, be careful as brake fluid and seals don't get along very well. Better to use something like WD-40 to be honest. I usually just use a rag to clean the grime that accumulates at the bottom. If you're changing it every 30k miles like you're suppose to the grime really ceases to be a problem.

Also, use lube locker gaskets for the best seal and ease of future maintenance. Taking the cover off let's you inspect the gears and look for any unusual wear.

Back