• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Air Intake Question

tock172

NAXJA Forum User
I am planning on doing a cone filter air intake in place of my stock airbox. It will suit me needs very well as I do not encounter much mud/water.

I have all the parts picked it, but I would like to know, as for my valve cover breather, is it better to stick a tiny cone filter on there, or run a tube into my new intake system like the old airbox?

it's better to run a tube. I've done it both ways and the breather filters always leaked.

you will need a heat sheild for the filter,the CCV hose needs to be ran into a vaccum source to work correctly and stay emissions legal.

The 4.0L runs hot and the intake and exhaust are on the same side of the motor, you will want to make sure you get an intake with a heat shield. Some after market kits put its own filter on the valve cover other kits still allow for a Vacuum.

The reason why its there is to keep E.P.A. happy so the motor is a closed system and every thing goes out through the CAT and out the tail pipe.

As long as there never any possitive pressure build up in the valve cover you should be fine, if you have problems either way it means that your 4.0l has some other small hidden problem.

Which you will find is one of the joys... (it becomes a joy or a PITA after a while) of working on a Cherokee

Back