• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ Wiring Harness Help

jrsmith_80

NAXJA Forum User
Alright Guys, my fuse block has been giving me fits lately. What happens is that a couple of the fuses seem to be falling out of their spot and losing their connection. I have tried to bend the fuses a little to make them fit tighter and that does not work. I have tried to bend the conection tabs in the fuse block to make them fit tighter and it works for about a week. I would prefer to just replace the complete harness with one from Painless Wiring but they do not have one for my 1988 Cherokee. Does anybody have any ideas on what I could possibly do to solve this problem for good? Would a Painless Harness off of another year jeep work, maybe a YJ or ZJ? What other ideas do you guys have that I could try? Thanks for your help in advance.

Jeremy

Well the wiring is entirely different for the Renix years, so a different year wouldn't work. Other models are certainly different as well. You could possibly get a fuse block from the dealer.

Usually you can back the female connector out of the fuse block carefully with a small screwdriver to release the holding tab. Then you use a small pliers to squeeze it tighter and reinsert into the block. Or cut the wires off and use an axillary fuse aftermarket block.

do you have a manual transmission. on my 89 with a manual trans(5spd), clutch fluid leaks from the clutch master onto the fuse block and eats away the plastic. if this is happening, you need to fix the problem or it could happen again. i shimmed the fuses so they stay in place. at some pont i will need a new fuse block.

im most likely going to the junk yard for a replacemnt.

How about your thoughts on this. Would a YJ harness from the same year work on my cherokee? I really dont see why it wouldnt other then the fact that it might be a little shorter but my guess is I could make it work. I am not worried about the fuel injection harness as it is fine. Painless has a harness for the YJ so I thought I would see what you guys thought about it possibly working. Give me your thought, good or bad.

Beside the point perhaps, but curious why you want to replace the entire harness just because some fuses are falling out.

As 89xj says, about 90% of the time when bad things start happening with fuses/circuit breaker in the interior panel, it is because brake fluid from the clutch master cylinder has dripped on it at some point. Provided, of course, that you have a 5-spd.

Certainly your business if you want to replace the entire harness, but seems like a lot of work and expense when you are still going to have to replace the panel regardless of what else you do.

Beside the point perhaps, but curious why you want to replace the entire harness just because some fuses are falling out.

As 89xj says, about 90% of the time when bad things start happening with fuses/circuit breaker in the interior panel, it is because brake fluid from the clutch master cylinder has dripped on it at some point. Provided, of course, that you have a 5-spd.

Certainly your business if you want to replace the entire harness, but seems like a lot of work and expense when you are still going to have to replace the panel regardless of what else you do.

Well for one, the fuse block is trashed. Two, the harness itself has seen better days. The reason for the screwed fuse block is not brake fluid (at least from the 2 years that I have owned it), it seems that at one time it got really hot and sort of melted.

Beside that I am not sure if you have ever messed with a Painless kit but I have done a few of them and they are well worth the money. It is so nice to know that everything is just fine. I have a few plans for this jeep but I dont wat to tackle them if I cant the wiring fixed.

Problem is you can't get the painless kit for your XJ. If you've done the wiring kits before, you can do some custom wiring yourself. Check out the available aftermarket fuse blocks like Summit and others have. Solder and heat shrink in some new wires and take them to a better location for the fuse block. Fix it yourself and do it right. I think there are even threads on here of people using marine fuse boxes.

Problem is you can't get the painless kit for your XJ. If you've done the wiring kits before, you can do some custom wiring yourself. Check out the available aftermarket fuse blocks like Summit and others have. Solder and heat shrink in some new wires and take them to a better location for the fuse block. Fix it yourself and do it right. I think there are even threads on here of people using marine fuse boxes.

The thought has crossed my mind but I was looking for an easier way out. But that still is an option.

The plastic fuse block itself, and the single, double and triple buss terminals which hold the fuses' blades, have all been discontinued. However, the fuse block is a GM design, and you may find a similar fuse panel, if not the same, out of an older GM or Chevrolet pickup. The buss terminals are also a GM design, called Pack-Con terminals- they are available as female or male. There are two styles, either of which I'm not sure was used in our fuse panels: Pack-Con I and Pack-Con II. They are also available for various sizes of wire, 18-20 AWG, 14-16 AWG or 10-12 AWG for example.

I am having the same problem. Though I've since replaced the clutch master cylinder and hose, the damage has been done. As noted above, the seapage/leakage of the clutch master cylinder corrodes the terminals. In addition to terminal fatigue due to age, the metal deteriorates from the hydraulic fluid and aids in tension loss. Additionally, the terminal's metal surface corrodes from the combined effects of hydraulic fluid and electrical current. Once a terminal's metal finish has corroded, excesive heat builds up from the poor electrical connection and multiplies the effects. Heat combined with poor connections, due to galvanic/coorosive/oxidized surfaces and inadequate terminal tension, lead to eventual failure of the terminal. The heat buildup from the poor connections also cause the plastic block itself to distort, and even melt, which also creates a condition leading to loose terminals, which then adds to the problem.

For me, the choice will be one of the following:

1. Use a replacement fuse block from an XJ with an automatic that is in good condition.

2. Use a replacement fuse block from an older GM or Chevy that matches the XJ design.

3. Replace all my single, double and triple buss terminals with new female Pack-Con terminals.

4. Eliminate the original fuse block, and splice a new fuse panel, such as something offered from Painless Wiring, relocated to a more suitable location.

The plastic fuse block itself, and the single, double and triple buss terminals which hold the fuses' blades, have all been discontinued. However, the fuse block is a GM design, and you may find a similar fuse panel, if not the same, out of an older GM or Chevrolet pickup. The buss terminals are also a GM design, called Pack-Con terminals- they are available as female or male. There are two styles, either of which I'm not sure was used in our fuse panels: Pack-Con I and Pack-Con II. They are also available for various sizes of wire, 18-20 AWG, 14-16 AWG or 10-12 AWG for example.

I am having the same problem. Though I've since replaced the clutch master cylinder and hose, the damage has been done. As noted above, the seapage/leakage of the clutch master cylinder corrodes the terminals. In addition to terminal fatigue due to age, the metal deteriorates from the hydraulic fluid and aids in tension loss. Additionally, the terminal's metal surface corrodes from the combined effects of hydraulic fluid and electrical current. Once a terminal's metal finish has corroded, excesive heat builds up from the poor electrical connection and multiplies the effects. Heat combined with poor connections, due to galvanic/coorosive/oxidized surfaces and inadequate terminal tension, lead to eventual failure of the terminal. The heat buildup from the poor connections also cause the plastic block itself to distort, and even melt, which also creates a condition leading to loose terminals, which then adds to the problem.

For me, the choice will be one of the following:

1. Use a replacement fuse block from an XJ with an automatic that is in good condition.

2. Use a replacement fuse block from an older GM or Chevy that matches the XJ design.

3. Replace all my single, double and triple buss terminals with new female Pack-Con terminals.

4. Eliminate the original fuse block, and splice a new fuse panel, such as something offered from Painless Wiring, relocated to a more suitable location.

im fixing my 89 by rebuilding the fuse block thats in it. im replacing all the bad terminals with the hope that it lasts another 5 years without any more major electrical issues.

im using the terminals from a cheapo fuse block kit from pepboys. the kit comes with the terminals and a new block for around 6$. im just using the terminals as i could not find the correct terminals seperately.

thanks for the heads up on the gm style terminals.

All the terminals are available,Id just replace them.

You said you have done Painless Wiring before. Then why not get one of their "universal" harnesses and just tie it into the existing engine/trans management harnesses in your XJ?

With some sweat equity you can wire in almost any fuse block.

Has anyone ever actually removed the fuse block? I see two screws, but I'm not sure how it's fastened beyond that.

on my 89, i removed the fuse block by removing the 2 screws at the sodes of the fuse block and by removing the center screw on the main wiring harness that goes through the wirewall near the brake booster.

the screw is accessable from the engine bay and is in the middle of the harness. i could not see it when i looked but was able to feel for it. IIRC, i used a 10mm long socket to get it out.

Once you seperate the fuse block and the engine side connections the fuse block is held in place with plastic clips onto the firewall connection. Just back the two torx head screws out further then push on the two clips and it will seperate (not by much though only a few inches).

I received a replacement fuse block out of an '88 that had an automatic. I was surprised that it looked brand new, and the fuse buss slots were really tight. The yard I bought it from left me a few inches of wire to work with- I'll probably use compression splices and heat shrink tubing to reconnect. Looking at the one I just got, it looks like the old one should be easy to remove. But, I remember removing the two screws on the inside and not being able to remove it a few years ago- presumably because I hadn't gotten as far as what you guys described by removing a screw from the engine compartment side of the firewall. I'll take a look when I get a chance on a warmer, dryer day. I'll be so glad to get it replaced.

Last edited:
Back