• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Radiator fan problems

RªMB°

NAXJA Forum User
I installed a new radiator into my Jeep last week only for it to be eatin alive by the fan clutch in less the 12hours. So I bought another radiator and replaced the broken motor mount Saturday and had 0 problems the rest of the day and all day Sunday. I drove to work this morning absolutley flawless and had no problems driving it home. I picked my buddy up and went to dinner and when I dropped him off the fan clutch ate into it. I have 3 mawred tubes instead of the whole radiator this time.

Why does this keep happening? All mounts look good.

I have a 95 XJ with a 5speed manual and 4x4 which I havent even had the luxary of engaging yet :bawl:

Help please I cant afford another $250 for another radiator.

Well, if it moves enough to put the fan into the radiator, I would think that despite "looking" good, you may have a bad mount. You say you changed one- why not both?

Go for MORE or Browndog mounts and a new trans mount, 5 speeds tend to let the drivetrain move a bit more so any slop will result in a crunched rad.

Is it a 3 core rad? If so, remember you're decreasing the clearance between the clutch and the rad.

And make sure the bearing for the fan isn't pulling out of the bracket. Just look at the pulley and see if there is a worn area exposed where the belt used to run.

Back