• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What are the smoking in DC

I agree. The burden of logging and storing that data is just not cool. Unfunded mandates suck. Politicians suck. They have no idea of what it would require, but because they "think" (and I use that term loosely) it is a good idea, they jump all over it.

Whatever they're smoking, send me a couple of ounces. I'd not mind being disconnected from reality for a little while...

So, this means that all of the "unsecured Wi-Fi hotspots" - Barns & Noble, McDonald's, Starbucks, et al would have to maintain records of who accesses them, and they they access while they're there?

I can just see all of the hotspots getting shut down as a result. Easier to obviate the need for compliance than to comply in the first place. Libraries are probably going to shut down their Wi-Fi access as well - same reason.

Yep. Brilliant idea...

Whatever they're smoking, send me a couple of ounces. I'd not mind being disconnected from reality for a little while...

So, this means that all of the "unsecured Wi-Fi hotspots" - Barns & Noble, McDonald's, Starbucks, et al would have to maintain records of who accesses them, and they they access while they're there?

I can just see all of the hotspots getting shut down as a result. Easier to obviate the need for compliance than to comply in the first place. Libraries are probably going to shut down their Wi-Fi access as well - same reason.

Yep. Brilliant idea...

Believe it or not governments do not like the internet, most places will not go to the expense of setting up a syslog server let alone keep the logs and maintain it. Remember ISDN ? one of the reasons it was never fully deployed was because the feds could not tap it, when I was at Bellcore we had to fund and pay for a full blown development program just to tap ISDN, until we handed the feds a turn key system they would not approve ISDN deployment. That was back in early 90. We had to do the same thing when we were developing it's replacement DSL. By the time the wiretapping was setup for ISDN we were already doing field trials of DSL in North and South Jersey.

Believe it or not governments do not like the internet, most places will not go to the expense of setting up a syslog server let alone keep the logs and maintain it. Remember ISDN ? one of the reasons it was never fully deployed was because the feds could not tap it, when I was at Bellcore we had to fund and pay for a full blown development program just to tap ISDN, until we handed the feds a turn key system they would not approve ISDN deployment. That was back in early 90. We had to do the same thing when we were developing it's replacement DSL. By the time the wiretapping was setup for ISDN we were already doing field trials of DSL in North and South Jersey.

Yeah, I know. Government isn't wild about a populace that can get information from sources other than the government itself.

As I've said before, Orwell was right. His timing was just a bit off. "Ministry of Truth," anyone?

Back