• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

rear dana 60 35spline upgrade Q

POLAR_JEEP_04

NAXJA Forum User
ok I have a rear LP 30 spline (trac-lock) dana 60 FF from a 79 F250, I want to upgrade to 35 spline shafts and a 35 spline ARB or Detriot. My question is to get to 35 spline I was told to get a locker from a HP front 35 spline dana 60 and dana 70 FF 35 spline shafts and then bore the hubs out to 1.6". does that sound right? the whole front HP 60 locker in a rear LP 60 is throwing me off!

dana 70 FF 35 spline shafts
Good luck with that. All of the D70 shafts I have found have been either too long or too short for my D60. Unfortunately you can't re-spline a stock D70 shaft, so I'll be stuck buying some alloys. ;)
and then bore the hubs out to 1.6".
You'd be boring the spindles, not the hubs.
RCman's write-up about going 35 spline, bunch of good info

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=933793
Yup, my writeup should detail all of the sizes and dimensions you need.
Be sure to check from the start that you don't have the smaller necked down spindles.
Carriers are interchangeable common parts among D60's, so full-case lockers are as well. Its just the gearsets that are different. The D60 carriers and full-case lockers will accept both standard-cut and reverse-cut gearsets.
True. Carriers are interchangeable, just be sure to pay attention to the carrier breaks. Also, don't get confused as it is possible to run 4.10 and up gears on a 4.10 and down carrier in a high pinion D60 with the use of "thick gears". Actually is what I'm doing with my 5.38s. Although, with the rear being a low pinion you can't do that anyway.

Last edited:
Also, don't get confused as it is possible to run 4.10 and up gears on a 4.10 and down carrier in a high pinion D60 with the use of "thick gears". Actually is what I'm doing with my 5.38s. Although, with the rear being a low pinion you can't do that anyway.

Why?

I did it on a 14bFF I have in my parts hauler/tow rig. Just did a quick search to make sure it wasn't something related to D60's only. Looks like its a manufacturer availability issue. The 14bFF gears didn't used to be around either, so I think we may see more LPD60 thick gears eventually as the manufacturers tool up.

Here's a thick standard-cut 4.56:

http://www.ringpinion.com/ProductDetails.aspx?ProdID=6463

Why?

I did it on a 14bFF I have in my parts hauler/tow rig. Just did a quick search to make sure it wasn't something related to D60's only. Looks like its a manufacturer availability issue. The 14bFF gears didn't used to be around either, so I think we may see more LPD60 thick gears eventually as the manufacturers tool up.

Here's a thick standard-cut 4.56:
http://www.ringpinion.com/ProductDetails.aspx?ProdID=6463
Maybe I'm missing the question, but why what?

Oh, I know they are aware for the 14b, I just didn't mention it cause this was about a D60. :)

Edit: Ok, so I just called Randy's to make sure that I wasn't out of my mind as I thought that thick gears where for high pinion's only. We were both correct, kinda. The part number in the link you posted above is an original Dana Spicer number. According to Bruce @ Randy's, Dana Spicer did put out a very limited number of thick standard cut (low pinion) gearsets from the factory. Unless you can find one of those gearsets on somebody's shelf in old stock they are no longer available. Nobody makes thick gears for a standard cut D60 anymore.

Last edited:
Sorry this is a little off topic, but its an easy question so no point in starting a new thread...

I just picked up a 77 rear Dodge 60 and am getting ready to clean it up a bit and put discs on it. I pulled the shafts today and realized I don't have a socket big near big enough to get the spindle nut off. What size is that nut and where can I pick up such a big socket?

ok so can i get 5.13 gears for my LP 60 and run a HP 60 locker?
Correct, as long as the locker's carrier is 4.10+.

Sorry this is a little off topic, but its an easy question so no point in starting a new thread...

I just picked up a 77 rear Dodge 60 and am getting ready to clean it up a bit and put discs on it. I pulled the shafts today and realized I don't have a socket big near big enough to get the spindle nut off. What size is that nut and where can I pick up such a big socket?
D60 spindle nuts vary axle to axle. Which style is it?
Most auto parts stores should have the socket. IIRC it is about $15

Good luck with that. All of the D70 shafts I have found have been either too long or too short for my D60. Unfortunately you can't re-spline a stock D70 shaft, so I'll be stuck buying some alloys. ;)

So cut the housing down to fit!
biggrin.gif

http://www.bsfab.net/?p=22
Billy

The shaft respining issue is why I chose to run the D70 (Ford cab & chassis version) in the first place and shave the housing. I found that the brake setup (with parking brake) off the AAM1050 I also had sitting around had the same bolt patterns and went on it very nicely.

now will I have to have these custom made??? or is there a store, Yukon or similar, that would have these in stock? how do I measure my shaft? do i measure just the shaft or the shaft plus the FF flange on the end that bolts to the spindle?

now will I have to have these custom made??? or is there a store, Yukon or similar, that would have these in stock? how do I measure my shaft? do i measure just the shaft or the shaft plus the FF flange on the end that bolts to the spindle?
You don't have to get them custom made. If you want there are several companies (like Dutchman) that offer them for about $290/pair. There are also cut-to-length shafts (like Yukon). Those have splines longer than you need and then you cut the shaft to your length. Generally those run about $85-100/ea.

To measure a full floater shaft start at the mating surface for the flange to the hub and end at the end of the splines.

ok I have a rear LP 30 spline (trac-lock) dana 60 FF from a 79 F250, I want to upgrade to 35 spline shafts and a 35 spline ARB or Detriot. My question is to get to 35 spline I was told to get a locker from a HP front 35 spline dana 60 and dana 70 FF 35 spline shafts and then bore the hubs out to 1.6". does that sound right? the whole front HP 60 locker in a rear LP 60 is throwing me off!

I am running the same axle. I bought a ARB model RD35 locker. I bought Yukon 35 spline, 1.5 inch alloy shafts off ebay for $240. The Yukon shafts were 36" long and had 6 inches of spline. They are cut-to-fit. If I remeber correctly the stock shafts were 34.5" long, so I beleive I cut off 1.5" from the shafts. I bored the spindles myself using a drill, two arbors and two hole saws. It took me about 10 min per inch, the spindles are about 8" long. I couldn't find a local machine shop that would bore the spindles.

IMG_8365.jpg

IMG_8366.jpg

This is the 35 spline arb for 4.56 and numericaly higher gears:
http://www.lmt4x4.com/ARB-RD35.html?id=cvqHyNyk

Back