• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Brakes!!!

jeepbub

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 90 with antilock and it never worked correcly. I went to a salvage and picked up a new master cylinder and brake booster and put them on. I am trying to do away with the antilocks. I can't get the back brakes to work. I bleed them and they seem to have plenty of fluid coming out. I figured it had to be the wheel cylinders, so I put new ones on. No help. I guess I am asking if any of you have done away with the antilocks and had this problem. Any help would be good. I have also changed out the master cylinder 3 times thinking that I might have gotten a bad one.

Yes, I adjusted them all the way out until I couldn't turn the wheels by hand any more. When I get in and start it and put it in any gear the wheels turn just like there were no brakes even though I am standing on the brake pedal.

No, I haven't. I changed the proportioning valve and this did nothing. I am wondering if the rear brakes on this thing are different from brakes that are non ABS, seeing how this is one of the first ABS systems. I am getting ready to change the rear and front differentials out in this thing. At that time I will put in all new brake lines, and if I have to I will run directly from the master cylinder back and not use the proportioning valve. I have changed everything but the brake lines and nothing is working in the rear. I also took out the e-brake assemblies thinking this might be the problem.

Have you even removed the ABS pump completely and re done the brake lines as you dont mention this? The propotioning valve off a non ABS has an extra port too to take the left and right front brakes ( ABS only has the one front ) as well as one for the rear. Wondering how you manged to run them with the old p/valve unless you swapped the extra port in instead of the plug it has??

The ABS pump on this thing is sitting on the passanger side of the Jeep. It has been disconnected. It has not been taken out. But it is not hooked to the system. The proportioning valve has been changed twice.

Just my opinion, but even though Im not too familiar with the anti-lock systems on these Jeeps, I would not recommend running a line straight from the master cylinder to the rear brake cylinder without going through the/a proportioning valve, not if you are going to run it on the street, anyway. Not safe doing that, you wont get the correct balance of pressure to the fronts/rears.

I know, but I have had trouble with this thing for the last two years and it is comming to a head. I wonder if I took a proportioning valve off of a different vehicle, not a jeep. Anything has to be better than this. I am replaceing the rear rubber brake line tonight to see if that does it. I already have about $600.00 rapped up in this brake problem by the time I got 2 new master cylinders, new rear brake cylinders, new brake lines for the front, and 2 proportioning valves. The only thing left is the brake lines. I have also replaced the brake booster.

jeepbub said:
The ABS pump on this thing is sitting on the passanger side of the Jeep. It has been disconnected. It has not been taken out. But it is not hooked to the system. The proportioning valve has been changed twice.

So you have two lines running from the master to the p/valve correct? Then 3 lines coming out of the p/valve with one to each front caliper and the other to the rear? Which of the three lines coming out of the p/valve have you made go to the rear?

I believe the one at the front goes to the rear brakes. I chased them down from the original lines when I did it. Whatever one went to the rear to begin with is now going to the rear.

Does your brake pedal feel spongy or hard? Does it go to the floor when pressed? If it feels spongy, try clamping the rear flex line to see if the pedal feel changes significantly. If it does, the problems in the rears, including the flex line. If the doesn't change, the problems in the front, to include proportioning valve (PV) and MC. The MC and/or PV may have air in them. Did you bench bleed the MC before installing?

I know it is in the rear brakes because when I am on a slick surface it will come to a stop and then the rear tires will continue to move. I even put it on jackstands and the front tires would come to a stop and the back ones just keep on going. And this is no matter how hard I press on the brakes. The pedal is a little spongy but it does stop. I just can't drive it during the winter because it will not stop.

jeepbub said:
I have a 90 with antilock and it never worked correcly. I went to a salvage and picked up a new master cylinder and brake booster and put them on. I am trying to do away with the antilocks. I can't get the back brakes to work. I bleed them and they seem to have plenty of fluid coming out. I figured it had to be the wheel cylinders, so I put new ones on. No help. I guess I am asking if any of you have done away with the antilocks and had this problem. Any help would be good. I have also changed out the master cylinder 3 times thinking that I might have gotten a bad one.

Did you ever replace the ABS pedal assembly? In my 91 XJ, I swapped out the ABS for a 95 non-ABS master cylinder - the original pedal assembly did not line up properly with the new booster. It is quite possible that the pedal simply bottoms out before full pressure can be exerted on the master cylinder. Also, It takes a LOT of bleeding to clear out the air in the rear lines when the master cylinder is replaced.

Back