• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

new custom intake

jeepnleo

NAXJA Forum User
3" diameter Exhaust is the perfect size to fit the intake "elbow" and to fit many aftermarket filters.

Drill a couple of holes for the appropriate hose barbs to connect the other lines.

Why put the 90deg elbow next to the filter?

Michael

I put the 90 there for two reasons one I already bought it. I thought the throttle body had a typical 2 to3 inch flange. So I thought I needed the 90 degree bend there.

Reason 2 the filter would stick up and hit hood.

So here is what I did.

Cut stock intake right after the 90 degree bend. Inserted 2.5 exhaust tubing about 4 inches in length. Made sure that the exhaust tubing was only in enough to be able to be clamped down on but not pushed in so far to restrict air flow.
Next I used the silicon couple to attach 6 inch tubing. Then attached tubing with predrilled holes for vacum lines and breather lines. Still need to add one more hole.
Next I attached 90 degree elbow then filter.

All of the tubing is plastic. They come with one clamp on each one. They have an oring to seal and the clamp is just gets tightened over the two pieces with alan screw.

Its all 3 inch tubing.

I think all together I spent 70. For a 3 inch system with filter.
It is the cheapest route. I think rock it and rustys sells intakes for the same price. But after shipping it ends up cheaper.

I don't plan on sealing in box.

Eventually I do plan on making snorkle.

So I finished it up got all 4 vacum/breather tubes attached.

It sounds great you can here the engine suck in the air.

I am wondering if I should remove the rest of the air box.
That way there is more open air around it. Or if I should keep it to keep the engines hot air away.

I wouldn't remove the air box unless you have some type of air dam or deflection from the engine. My older intake had no seperation from the engine, and oil or other stuff, dirt or what not. that the engine fans kicked up would get all over the filter.

You could create a baffle that would allow it to just pull fresh air from the front, making it a "cold air intake";):lickout:

I wouldn't remove the air box unless you have some type of air dam or deflection from the engine. My older intake had no seperation from the engine, and oil or other stuff, dirt or what not. that the engine fans kicked up would get all over the filter.

You could create a baffle that would allow it to just pull fresh air from the front, making it a "cold air intake";):lickout:

You must not have had fan shrouds on at least one of your fan's?
I have nothing to keep my filter from the engine and it has been fine for many years.

Michael

So I finished it up got all 4 vacum/breather tubes attached.

It sounds great you can here the engine suck in the air.

I am wondering if I should remove the rest of the air box.
That way there is more open air around it. Or if I should keep it to keep the engines hot air away.

keep it and seal it up if you plan on getting a snorkel. Both snorkels on the market use it.

X2
I actually got rid of my K&N intake because I got tired of having to clean and oil it after every trip due to all the dirt and mud.

Back