• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Jeepspeed pics from contingency at Parker 425

BajaCurt

NAXJA Forum User
I went out to the Parker 425 with fordguy and dirtnrox and helped them pit.
I took a bunch of pictures of XJs and MJs at contingency as this was a JeepSpeed race.
When I got home I was checking out this JeepSpeed Prerunner forum.
I think it's very cool that NAXJA has set aside a special section for the go-fast stuff.
So I thought you guys might want to see some pics of the rigs that raced.
Some of the rigs seemed very .. ummm .. low budget.
One came from Washington state and I swear it looked like a daily driver with a cage.
I asked the moderators for permission to post these pics here since this is a Modified Tech sub forum and permission was granted for this thread.
So here are some of the pics I took.

Feel free to check out all of my pics from contingency here
http://flickr.com/photos/bajacurt/sets/72157613501821995/

I need to stay away from JS pics, they give me too many ideas

Thanks for posting those pics. That was a tough race for everyone! We pitted with Acton Racing(the police XJ) and had a great time in the mud and rain. Can't wait 'til the next race!

James

nice jeeps! forgive my ignorance, but are all these jeeps 2wd or required to be so?

nice jeeps! forgive my ignorance, but are all these jeeps 2wd or required to be so?
they can run 2wd or 4wd . I bet most are 2wd front beams with the t case still so the next race they can pick if they want the extra girth of the 30 or if they can do with a lighter 2wd.

The 7118 truck belongs to zoomy97acr.
We ran Parker with pit support from Diceman and his brother, and the guys from Rumblegoat Racing(Their truck is the silver Ranger in the background of the camoed 1730 Cherokee)
We didn't finish, but neither did 18 of the 20 "7100" class trucks, and over half the Jeepspeed field. Over 250 vehicles started the race, only 77 finished. A week later, and all I can say is;

Ouch,...

wait so you can run maxxis tires now? I thought it was still just bfg or goodyear

No limitation on tire type, only size.

How far did you guys make it? RM? Have you done a race report thread?
How far did we make it? :roflmao: How shallow is the ocean!
All photo credit here goes to BajaCurt. Derrick(zoomy97acr.) just told me there were more photos of the truck in Curt's flickr folder, so I'm going to steal 'em.:D

Everybody's probably already seen the video of the 1737 Jeepspeed Cherokee rolling. That area of the course is in the first 6 or 7 miles off the start line. The 7118 truck got hammered just as hard as they did going through there, and pretty much the same way(except we didn't roll over) Derrick and I agree we might have had 7 to 8 feet of air under the front end at one point along that section of the course. Derrick said there was something broken up front, and the charging system became erratic. We limped to pit one(that's mile 31.5:eek:) where we spent a frantic 20 minutes removing the left front shock(which had broken away from the axle), the anti-sway bar end links(which had been hammered through the inner fenders),
3265554636_fca0cd2dce.jpg

and re-locating the starter solenoid away from jagged metal(from the inner fenders) Somehow, Curt managed to sneak in and photograph our impromptu pit-stop.(thanks Curt!)
3265559252_573871aa20.jpg

That's Derrick in the red suit/white stripe finishing up the shock surgery, I'm helmeted working on the wiring.
'Turned out that was only the beginning of our problems, as damage from the original hit kept showing up throughout the day. We ended up stopping at pit 2 for more work(unplanned), then again further down the course. We finally got straightened out and made a clean re-fuel pit at pit 3(the only thing that went off as planned all day!:rolleyes:) Thought we were on course to at least finish(late and slow) and had an "off-course excursion" around mile 97, almost rolled the truck, ripped up both back tires, & damaged the oil pan(again!). 'Truck died at mile 134(ignition failure) and we decided to pack it in.

:gee:Look at the front of your Cherokees, guys. Now imagine: 3" lift, properly bump-stopped. How far would you have to compress the front of the truck to ram the sway bar links through the fenders?

We just found vid. of 7118 rolling past a camera on one of the flat sections. It's at about 2:37 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u2XhmX4etvI&feature=related

Hey, thanks for sharing your experience,sounds like a Hella ride! I hope you guys had a great time despite the DNF. I would have loved to seen the fly'n 'manche!!

Back