• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Yea yea yea, another AW4 Thread...

DanMan2k06

NAXJA Forum User
But this one is different, I'm trying to stop something before it potentially gets worse. So here's the scoop:
- '97 SE, AW4, np231, No tranny cooler or towing package, about 175k guesstimated on the clock. Have replaced the cluster twice, so it's close.

Well the problem happens maybe 2 or 3 times per drive. The transmission seems to "slip", but not the kind of slipping that I read about post after post after post from searching. When I'm driving, it almost feels like the toque converter unlocks, then locks again. Also, it only happens when my foot is consistently on the gas, and only in 2nd or 3rd gear.

90% of the time it happens when I come around a corner at about 30, decelerating but with the foot slighlty on the gas, and then if I gently accelerate the rpm's will jump about 500, and then come back down. Lasts about 1 second max. Doesn't happen in reverse or overdrive. Checked the TCM, time lag test, stall test, and pressure test. All fine.

I'm in the middle of doing a slow flush, I've done 2 changes already in the past month or so, and plan on doing 2 more. Only overheated once, and it wasn't truly overheated, more like warmed up past normal. If my clutches are wearing out or something like that, I would rather get on it now, rather than when the tranny decides to die on me or when it's unexpected. Any ideas?

Have you checked your TPS? I know that people have issues with the TPS and AW4

No it's Dex3 not 4. When I did my very first tranny fluid change, EVERYONE told me to use AW4. I had a hunch in the back of my mind that it was wrong, so I came on here and found Dexron III. Ever since then I've been using that.

It seems to also only do it after warming up. TPS is fine. Had a whole rack of trouble from that a while ago, so all new sensors on the throttle body.

Back