• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

160° Thermostat?

RustyBlackXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I want to see what everyone thinks about a 160° thermostat. I replaced the t-stat in my 88 yesterday, and the one I bought at AutoZone, which should have been a 192°, is actually a 160°. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to go back to the store and had to put the 160° in. My heat is way cooler than I expected it to be, so I think I may have some air in the system. I know on some vehicles, the cooler thermostat can cause issue with the engine not going to open-loop and running rich and other such stuff. Is the heat the only downside to the 160°? If it is, I'll burp the system and see if I can live with it. If there are other issues, I'll suck it up and replace it straight away,

You're going to get really crappy fuel mileage if the engine runs at 160* all the time. I'd replace it with a stock one.

Yeah, you always wanna go OEM with a t-stat, unless you are doing a bunch of slow, long wheeling that causes temp. rising.

I replaced mine with a Jet 180* t-stat. The only difference it made is that on the highway at night when it's cooler, it'll run at 190*. Otherwise, off-roading it's still at 210*. I even tried some of that Water Wetter stuff to decrease the temps, no change.

Go with the OEM 195 or the 192.

If you are heating up when doing hard 4x4, check coolant mix, radiator flow (both coolant and air), etc. or improve the components--HD radiator, HD fan clutch, add an electric fan or if you already have one put in a dash switch for operator command cooling.

Using cold thermostats is Dino tech.

I just leave my defroster on with the heat when wheeling to pull some heat from the engine bay, this way the electric fan is always on too.
If I leave it on low, it keeps the temp at between 200-210*. If I turn it on high, it stays at 190*, even on hot days.
I just roll my windows down and it's all good.

Get a JEEP OEM thermostat or a Stant thermostat, 195 degree. The AutoZone ones are garbage. Actually everything else BESIDES an AutoZone thermostat would be good. Mr Gasket is good, etc...not sure of any other brands off of the top of my head.

OK, I'm glad you guys confirmed what I was thinking. Unfortunately the box got soaked with coolant so I can't bring it back in that, but I'm definitely going to go back to AutoZone and see if I get anywhere with it. I don't care about the cost of the t-stat as it's cheap, but I really don't feel like replacing it again. I was so pissed when I was sitting there last night buttoning everything up, parts stores were closed, and noticed the "160F" stamped on the t-stat.

Anybody know approximately how much coolant I need to drain out of the radiator? I just flushed and refilled the whole system with fresh antifreeze and distilled water and don't want to drain the whole radiator again.

Anybody know approximately how much coolant I need to drain out of the radiator? I just flushed and refilled the whole system with fresh antifreeze and distilled water and don't want to drain the whole radiator again.

You shouldn't have to drain any coolant. Put a pan under the whole thing and just pop it off. You'll lose about a quart.

x2 on what ParadiseXJ said.

Hey, ParadiseXJ, new avatar--let me know if you find the answer to that question.

I just leave my defroster on with the heat when wheeling to pull some heat from the engine bay, this way the electric fan is always on too.
If I leave it on low, it keeps the temp at between 200-210*. If I turn it on high, it stays at 190*, even on hot days.
I just roll my windows down and it's all good.

When you turn your defroster on your a/c will kick on. Auto engineers have figured out that the a/c helps dry out the air to defrost your window better. I unplug my compresser in the winter so i am not pointlessly using energy. just a thought.

Get a JEEP OEM thermostat or a Stant thermostat, 195 degree. The AutoZone ones are garbage. Actually everything else BESIDES an AutoZone thermostat would be good. Mr Gasket is good, etc...not sure of any other brands off of the top of my head.
they sell CST t-stats (just got one there a month ago) which is what ALOT of places sell and I have been running them for years in different applications with no problems oh and Mr. Trashkit is def China's finest t-stat

Back