• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Temp gauge bypass?

MrShaft696

NAXJA Forum User
Ok so I switched from the dummy lights to gauges in my 96, switched the sensor, didnt work, so i tried some other sensors, went to the junk yard and pulled a bunch of sensors to try and none worked, so i got another gauge pod to try to make sure it wasnt busted and no dice. So my question is, can I run the 2 wires directly to the gauge pod and attach them to the screws on the back that say "ground" & "TU" or "IGN"? see pics.....
gauges01.jpg

gauges02.jpg

You did get the temp sensor(from a Jeep with the gauge cluster) that is on the back of the head by driver side firewall, right? I guess if you've tried everything, then you could run a wire from that sensor directly to the TU on the back of the cluster(use a ring terminal under the tu screw).

96 4.0l two temp senders, one near thermostat is for ECU ONLY. Coolant guage sensor is at rear of head, drivers side. Two kinds -1 simple switch for warning light, 2nd is a sensor for guage. they don't swap. sender ground via thread mounting ( do not over tighten, no thread sealer).
One wire connector- disconnected (open), ign on - guage should read low end of scale. -shorted to ground,-guage should read high end of scale. plugged on -coolant temp reading. takes a few minutes with cold engine to warm up.

Good Luck,
orange

yes guys I am very aware of which sensor it is, I know there are two etc etc. The sensor has two wires coming out the back of it, I believe one is red w/black stripe and the other is blue w/black stripe. I am just wondering if I have to hook up both wires, whether I have to ground one of them, what should I try first.

yes guys I am very aware of which sensor it is, I know there are two etc etc. The sensor has two wires coming out the back of it, I believe one is red w/black stripe and the other is blue w/black stripe. I am just wondering if I have to hook up both wires, whether I have to ground one of them, what should I try first.

Wrong!!

As said by everyone else, the sendor for the guage is a one wire sendor.
If yours have two wires it means someone have changed it. That may be the reason the guage do not work.

Wrong!!

As said by everyone else, the sendor for the guage is a one wire sendor.
If yours have two wires it means someone have changed it. That may be the reason the guage do not work.

Subscribed....

I think I am understanding what they are saying... BOTH sensors should be a single wire sensor, BOTH wires pick up their ground reference from the body of the sensor.

Interesting that you have two wires on yours Chris, I'll have to go look at mine (both 87 MJ and 96 XJ, maybe one is single wire and the other is two wire??) since I'll be doing this soon too (to both MJ and XJ).

Subscribed....

I think I am understanding what they are saying... BOTH sensors should be a single wire sensor, BOTH wires pick up their ground reference from the body of the sensor.

Interesting that you have two wires on yours Chris, I'll have to go look at mine (both 87 MJ and 96 XJ, maybe one is single wire and the other is two wire??) since I'll be doing this soon too (to both MJ and XJ).

maybe im smoking crack I dont know, I have to re-look at this all and take pics when it stops snowing and I have a extra gauge cluster now if you need one.

THE ONE (1) at the rear of head is for driver Information.

It can be ONE (1) of two KINDS
(a) a temperature switch for a warning light...OR...(b)variable resistor for a guage reading.

----ONLY ONE INSTALLED.----

(a) for light .......OR........ (b) for guage

....THE...ONE...WIRE...connects...to...(a) ....OR....(b)....

(Wireing test : see post #3.)

As Clint Eastwood said "simple" (foxfire)

orange

(Cheat!)
Go find a stock Jeep that has the temperature gauge and peek under hood if all else fails.

(hang in there! you will love a gauge-IS worth it!)

-------

(They changed about '97 to ECU sending info to gauge so no sensor at rear of head on newer jeeps.)

orange

Back