• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1/2 Tank of Gas, Engine Cuts Out

88XJSport

NAXJA Forum User
Why all of a sudden will my engine cut out for a split second on a half tank? I replaced my pump (bosch 69302) with a new Bosch 69302 after I burned the old one up on wrong injectors...and now the new one cuts out on 1/2 tank. I removed the pump, and replaced the sock filter and it still does it. I have a loop of fuel line right before my in-line filter, but I dont think that or the new pump/sock has anything to do with it.

Ideas?

Did you replace the short piece of rubber fuel line between the fuel pump and the outlet line when you changed the pumps?

Is the Bosch 69302 the correct pump for the 4.0? The pump for the 4 cyl. is not interchangeable with the 4.0 pump.

I replaced the rubber elbow hose in the tank when I replaced the pump. I ran a Bosch 69302 for 5 years before burning it up by using wrong injectors, and it gave me no problems before that. Now the new pump (69302) is cutting out at 1/2 tank and lower. The Bosch 69302 is for the 4.0. The 69301 is for the 4 cyl.

Last edited:
The reason I asked if the Bosch 69302 was correct for the 4.0 is because the 4 cyl/6cyl pumps are not interchangeable. If the 69302 is correct for the 4.0, then it is not correct for the 2.5, and having the wrong pump is not your problem.

As you replaced the rubber fuel line then it is not old and deteriorated and not your problem.

Could it be an intermittant open in the power/ground?

Thanks for the edit clarification.

Could it be an intermittant open in the power/ground?

You mean in the tank? I made sure there were no wires that would be touching one another once I got it all back together. I DO have a loop of rubber fuel line before my inline filter. Kinda mimmicks a loop you would do on a roller coaster. Could that be causing it? And if it does, I wonder why it does it on 1/2 tank or less...

Last edited:
You have the 3-wire connector at the tank, right?

90 ESM says connector is marked A B C, A=ground, B=fuel gauge sender, C=power. Hook up a test light/multimer/audible open circuit tester and try wiggling the harness around.

Good luck.

My first thought would be it's sucking air instead of fuel at around half a tank.
Second thought would be your gas gage is lying to you.
May want to check your vent. See if the gas cap makes a sucking sound when you take it off. Likely not the problem, but worth a look.
Have you done a pressure and volume test yet?

How do I do a pressure and volume test? When the fuel nozzle "clicks" at the station the gauge is on the same spot as the last time I had the pump/sending unit out.

Last edited:
So how often does it cut out for a split second? Once per tank? Then does it run OK for the rest of the tank? Or does it continue to cut in and out many times a day when you are less than 1/2 full? Or what?

Once I get to a half tank, any right or left turn 90 degrees at speeds 15mph and higher, the engine will kinda stumble but it will catch itself. Almost stalls but doesnt. Happens everytime 1/2 tank and less.

Last edited:
Sure sounds like the pump is sucking air. If it keeps doing that, it will burn out quickly. Could the hose inside the tank not be clamped tightly enough?

Like asked above, when opening the gas cap, does it suck a vacuum (it shouldn't.)

Sure sounds like the pump is sucking air. If it keeps doing that, it will burn out quickly. Could the hose inside the tank not be clamped tightly enough?

Like asked above, when opening the gas cap, does it suck a vacuum (it shouldn't.)

No the gas cap opening does not suck vacuum. Ive had the pump out twice, and the elbow hose is clamped tightly, no air holes from what I can see, no wires that can move and ground out, ruling out shorting, and the sock filter is new. Im puzzled. Last pump (same p/n) had no problems.

Well, if it isn't sucking air (new hose, tight clamps) which would seem to tie into the 1/2 tank issue, then the problem would seem to have to be electric, but that ignores the 1/2 tank issue.

Test the electrical as if the 1/2 tank issue wasn't manifesting itself. When cornering hard lots of things are moving/leaning/under stress.

Sure still sounds like sucking air somehow or an intermittent open circuit.

Back