• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

My AW4 shifter

CSaddict

NAXJA Forum User
Well I need to bypass my ECM/TCM control of my AW4 so it doesn't downshift when I force it into open loop due to the turbo. (don't ask, its a long story and has to do with the air/fuel ratio in closed loop.)

I made this simple mechanical shifter that actuates 2 normally open/closed switches. I made this with some crap I had laying around and some hardware store items.

This is a rough idea of what it will look like but this exactly how it works.

Its about 4.25"x3"x2" ish.
DSCF2020.jpg

DSCF2019.jpg

Its bascially just a rod welded to a big fender washer that I drilled recesses into. I used a spring and a ball bearing to give it a positive shift feel. Its pretty smooth and does have a good solid stopping point between gears.

DSCF2023.jpg

I cut the rod and ground it down to center it. (no I didn't measure it) Then I TIG'd it on. The spacers are some 1/2 copper tubing I found in my basement.
DSCF2021.jpg

I used the same rod and cut pieces off and welded them to the fender washer to hit the switches in correct order to shift the tranny.

DSCF2022.jpg

Here is the schematic that you need to use to get the order correct and wired up. I printed the TCM pinout from the Shopkey at the shop.

TrannySchematic.jpg

Here is a quick vid of how it works. It will obviously be bolted down when in use but you get the idea.

I need to make a nice cover for it and get rid of the bolt that is the pivot and get a 1/2 rod and some locking collars so there won't be bolts hanging out of the side. I am also going to incorporate a lighted switch on the cover to actuate the convert lock up.

Thats some nice work!

Re: My AW4 shifter update,cover made 2/3/09

Ok, got the cover assembly all set. I went to Cable and Connectors looking for a 3pdt switch which they had so I can run the tranny on the shifter or the tranny computer. While I was there getting more switches and wire then I'll ever need I see some hobby boxes. Son of a bitch they had one that was perfect!! I was stressing about having to make a box that would work and look reasonable. I think this does the job and was only $9.

I first started out by getting some locking collars to get rid of the big bulky bolt. There is no exterior overhang now from the framing.
DSCF2023.jpg

I drilled and tap 4 holes in the side to secure the cover to the shifter frame.
DSCF2021.jpg

The entire side comes off with a few screws to allow access to everything.
DSCF2022.jpg

I made sure to get the box wide enough to put a lighted toggle in for the torque converter lock up.
DSCF2020.jpg

All I need to do it mount it and wire it up. I will fit perfectly directly in front of my cup holder and I can leave my arm on the center arm rest and shift at the same time. Very comfortable. I may add my Hella light switch to this box too. There is enough room.

id actually be interested to, maybe something like the actual shifter, with some wiring pigtails from the swtiches, then just do a diy wiring and mounting job myself?

Im working on something with a friend or two that would be simular.
we are thinking of offering a group buy. anyone interested?
just gotta prototype and test. maybe a month or two?
anyone interested/ want in?
suggestions?
csaddict; it will be entirely different than yours, dont worry
edit: unless you would like to sell me one!(then i wont have to make one)lol:roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

Last edited:
Im working on something with a friend or two that would be simular.
we are thinking of offering a group buy. anyone interested?
just gotta prototype and test. maybe a month or two?
anyone interested/ want in?
suggestions?
csaddict; it will be entirely different than yours, dont worry
edit: unless you would like to sell me one!(then i wont have to make one)lol:roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

very interested, you can put me down for one for sure. any price ballparks? very keen to see the progress with this, i cant wait.

I'll start a new thread in a couple days, so i dont have to hijack this one!!!
I'm very excited for it too. I think it will help lots of people.
The aw4 is a pain to diagnose, as far as my problem goes. im sure im not the only one...

Back