• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

HELP tranny being weird 93 auto is slipping?

ThE HiV

NAXJA Forum User
Hope someone here might be able to give some help. I have a 93 XJ auto. recently I've been having some issues. When i put it into drive it engages and takes off fine, but sometimes when I come to a stop light, I hit the gas and the engine just revs like its in neutral. if i rev it enough it finally catches and starts to drive. this also happens in reverse sometimes. sometimes it will even fall out of drive while just normal driving. then it engages again. anything I should think about doing here. change the tranny fluid and filter? anyone one else have this problem. what was the fix? thanks for any help

As already mentioned, verify fluid level on dipstick when hot and tranny fully exercised. If fluid level is good, changing fluid level would never be a bad idea. If you're ambitious, drop the pan, clean the filter screen and pan thoroughly.

I'm not a huge fan of additives but the one additive that I always use is LubeGard when I perform any transmission service. Many tranny shops use it as well.

I know this is going to sound very weird but it is your TPS. The TPS sends a signal to the TCU that locks the converter. This unlocking makes it seem to be slipping when it is in fact, shifting fine, but w/o the usual T/C lockup. Change your TPS and that will solve the issue.

Back