• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ Headlight Upgrade

slategrayXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I just bought a 2000 XJ and the headlights are nowhere near bright enough for where I live. I live way out in the woods and driving on the dark roads at night is scary with good headlights, with elk and deer and bear all over the roads. I am buying some offroad lights, but I also want to upgrade the headlights. What's the best option that I can install quickly, i.e. without re-wiring the rig? Hella has an H4 kit, is that good? Does the Jeep battery, cables etc. put enough power out for those? I don't care that they're not DOT approved, I live in a very small town. Thanks!

quadratec has several H4 options. I got the IPF's and some xenon bulbs. Your jeep should do fine, but I recommend an upgraded headlight harness. YOu can purchase a pre-made one or there is a write-up somewhere on here.

Susquehanna Motorsports for Hella H4 housings and bulbs. Good service.

You also want a relay harness. Use your existing wiring to trigger a relay that will send power straight from the battery to the lamps. The OEM wiring goes through the light switch in the cab, and is skimpy to boot. You're losing voltage due to length and gauge. The relay harness will drastically shorten the wiring, and you do want to use heavier wiring, period. Build your own harness, or source it from any of several vendors. BigOffroad.com (sponsor here) has a harness. Minor caveat, I have not used or even seen this harness, so I can't vouch for it. JohnJohn & Troy are both stand-up guys, though.

Susquehanna Motorsports for Hella H4 housings and bulbs. Good service.

You also want a relay harness. Use your existing wiring to trigger a relay that will send power straight from the battery to the lamps. The OEM wiring goes through the light switch in the cab, and is skimpy to boot. You're losing voltage due to length and gauge. The relay harness will drastically shorten the wiring, and you do want to use heavier wiring, period. Build your own harness, or source it from any of several vendors. BigOffroad.com (sponsor here) has a harness. Minor caveat, I have not used or even seen this harness, so I can't vouch for it. JohnJohn & Troy are both stand-up guys, though.

I have the BigOffroad harness. Well constructed and easy to install. I have been running it for two years with no problem. Made a HUGE difference!

Bad idea to run anything over stock 65/55 bulbs on the stock wiring. Neither the wiring, or switches will handle it well.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/79-0...ryZ33710QQihZ017QQitemZ270326225626QQtcZphoto

Yeah, that loosk good. Maybe add those and then do a harness when i get time?

Down at the bottom is says:

You can upgrade H4 bulbs to following:
Ultra Blue 60/55W Add $4.00
Ultra Blue 100/55W Add $6.00
Ultra Blue 100/90W Add $8.00
WHITE 100/55W Add $4.00
WHITE 100/90W Add $6.00

Can I run 100/90W on the stock wiring? Do they get hot?
i got the 100/90w bulbs with my autopals and built my own harness using fitchva and gojeeps writeups as a guide. the harness made a huge difference. i don't even use my high beams.

So these harnesses you can buy, do they just plug in or do i have to do a bunch of wiring? I'm capable of doing that but really busy and i don;t have a shop or garage, and it's 21 degrees outside!!!

So these harnesses you can buy, do they just plug in or do i have to do a bunch of wiring? I'm capable of doing that but really busy and i don;t have a shop or garage, and it's 21 degrees outside!!!

Plug and play for BigOffroad's.

Neither the wiring, or switches will handle it well.

Handle well? Shit it won't handle it at all. Your wiring insulation, and connectors will all melt.

::Edit, that HID kit is retarded. Good concept, but in the end you're still putting them in a reflective housing which = fail. If you're gona get a kit (they're all the same) buy a shitty cheap on off ebay for $60.

Language, Dan, language, please......

Personally i've done the wiring harness upgrade just like the Gojeeps webpage instructs and it definetly worked. I also have the E-codes off ebay with the upgraded 100/55w bulbs and the lows are like the highs on stock lenses and bulbs, the highs on the new bulbs are AMAZING!! Nice white light and sharp cutoffs. I could never own another jeep with stock wiring and bulbs again! Best upgrade EVER! Probably spent around 60.00 for all parts.

Back