• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

another no-start issue

maxxpehling

NAXJA Forum User
Haven't found any definite answers on this one, so I'll start a new thread.

Trying to chase down a no-run issue on my step-dads 96' XJ.

Automatic

apparently his fuel pump went out on it, and him and a backyard mechanic buddy changed it, very shortly after it wouldnt run anymore. he'slet it sit for probably 4-5 months now and finally asked me to fix it.

It appears to actually fire over but the second you let off the key it dies, not stalls out but just flat dies.

I figured it was a bad pump as thats when it started having issues. I show ~45PSI at the rail, but when it is firing over it seems to have spikes up to ~60PSI. I thought maybe a blocked filter but its just odd that it will not run at all, just dies hard when you let off the key.

any ideas?

ASD relay closes during start and run, if the PCM is receiving the necessary sensor inputs and closing the relay (to ground).
With the key in run, you should be getting current to both the actuator (relay coil) and the hot in. Sorry I don't have a diagram for that relay and the plug layout. But it's likely two pins should be hot, maybe three ( though doubtful) as the circuit does splice farther down the line.
Either the ignition switch is shutting off power in the run position (there would likely be other indicators, like no CEL) or the PCM isn't signaling the relay to close in the run position.
Do a key type trouble code test.
The syc sensor isn't used during start, but is used during run, it may be a possibility.
I'd have to look up the pressure test for the 96 model, but 60 PSI sounds excessive. Like the regulator (pressure relief) is sticking. You may have more than one issue here.

no spark during the quick crank.

but when it "starts" there is spark. held the starter down for about 2 seconds and the spark stayed.

this was off a the dist., not coil.

Sorry, but I am confused. You cranked it for two seconds and it started? Take the center wire off the distributor and hold next to a ground like the head. Now it can't try to start. Crank it and look for the spark. Crank for at least 10 seconds watching for a steady spark. Then pull a spark plug and check for signs of gas (wet, gas smell)

sorry for putting it that way, just kind of typed it and went outside.

I will try it with the coil wire and see if I get spark, and I'll pull a plug and see how it looks.

So this is where i was at. There was a crappy aftermarket alarm under the dash with some interesting wiring.

IMG_3441.jpg

IMG_3442.jpg

any idea what this harness is for? I assume it is for a deleted option. Just want to make sure
IMG_3443.jpg

IMG_3444.jpg

The orange wire comes off the harness. I recall orange being one of the important ones on my 89' when I did my push button. I could be wrong and it could be different for the 96'
IMG_3446.jpg

Like I said, 3 butt connectors within about 2" of wiring :roll:
IMG_3447.jpg

This harness is just dangling under the dash. not sure if it is one of the ones that plugs onto the column. where does it belong?
IMG_3459.jpg

all that is back to stock now, but I need to know where that big connector goes.

The wire colors on the plug must match up to a connector for the ignition switch, headlights, horn, combination flasher, or something like that. Could it be an accessory that your Jeep doesn't have? I suppose it still won't start at this point.

Check the ignition switch at the foot of the steering column. Sounds like it is out of adjustment or bad.

The top pic plug- looks like the 'washer fluid low' warning on the washer fluid tank. It trips the light -until it gets unplugged and taped back to the harness by owner! (ignore it!)
-----------------
If it was running ok before 'fuel pump' try to find out if ANY additional work was done on the wiring, etc.?

Might try swapping the ASD relay in the PDC (Box w/Fuses/relays by battery) with one of the identical relays in PDC. Also keep Battery charged-weak volts causes problems.

(the fuel is old and may not run real good, put in fresh soon as its running.)

Good Luck,
O

well the problem is I havent gotten a clear story on whats been done. I know it was running great then just pooped out, and parts were thrown at it.

I believe the exception is the pump, but I'm not clear on when it was done. I will probably pull it in the morning.

ASD is good. Battery is good "red top out of my DD ZJ because the XJ battery magically disappeared?"

it was just about bone dry on fuel when I started so I put 5 gallons of fresh fuel in to make sure I
1. had gas
2. had somewhat clean gas

Last photo- 8 pin black conn looks like 'c233 headlamp delay module'.
-eyeball it close to see if its 'pins' are worn from being plugged in (-probably not!)

O

Just a thought- might pull hose off filter outlet and run pump some to check flow and get any old fuel cleared out.

Good Luck on the fuel pump-some reports on bad replacements, now and then. Flashlite/mirror the tank while its out.
(New mopar O-ring is about $6)

(still puzzled by accessory no power - does point to IGN or fuses ?)

I could not find any thing on adjusting ign switch- seems its all one module that the key goes in on 96. (older xj had switch down the column w/ rod connecting which does adjust.)

O

Just a thought- might pull hose off filter outlet and run pump some to check flow and get any old fuel cleared out.

Good Luck on the fuel pump-some reports on bad replacements, now and then. Flashlite/mirror the tank while its out.
(New mopar O-ring is about $6)

(still puzzled by accessory no power - does point to IGN or fuses ?)

I could not find any thing on adjusting ign switch- seems its all one module that the key goes in on 96. (older xj had switch down the column w/ rod connecting which does adjust.)

O

Back