• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

EZ locker woes

Neil

NAXJA Forum User
I bought an EZ locker a little over 6 months ago from Raw Brown. I am now just getting around to putting it in. Anyway I am having some problems with it. It will not lock up(no traction to front tires) I called and talked to Raw Brown and he wants to swap it out for a Lock Right( like today) I told him that I wanted to try and shim the EZ locker with some shims and a cross pin from another carrier. Am I retarded (Chuck Don't answer) for trying to make it work? Should I just let Raw Brown swap it out? I feel a little guilty swapping it out, it sat on a shelf in my garage for over 6 months. I would feel that I own it. Raw Brown says "no problem lets swap it and get you something that works" Even if I don't swap it WHAT AWESOME CUSTOMER SERVICE!!! I will never buy from anyone else, ever!!!. Basically, do I swap it? Do I try it one more time? I am the retard that screwed up a Kilby alternator pulley install. I am very mechanically inclined, I can do almost anything, but I seem to be in a bit of a screw up rut lately.

What should I do?
Oh yea 87 D30 no disco 4.88 gears, 35" tires

Thanks,
Neil

Move your bed to the other side of the room so you get up on the other side.
It might break the bad mojo :D
Go with what he suggests and send it back.

Arugh!! I just got it back in. It was a real pain in the butt to get in this time so it has to be right. For the mojo, the only thing I haven't tried is putting the bed on the celing! I just have bad mojo... If this doesnt work I will send it back.

Thanks,
Neil

Ok, I just got off the phone with Raw Brown. He said send it back. So back it goes. He'll send out a Lock Right when he gets my EZ locker.

Customer for life!!!

Neil

Should have listened to him the first time!!!

Neil said:
Arugh!! I just got it back in. It was a real pain in the butt to get in this time so it has to be right. For the mojo, the only thing I haven't tried is putting the bed on the celing! I just have bad mojo... If this doesnt work I will send it back.

Thanks,
Neil

I know you don't have it working. But did you install it on the bench, or was the carrier still in the axle??

Too bad you didn't post sooner or researched this some. I could have saved you some time. My 1st EZ did not work right. Called Detroit. Shimmed it, put it back in. Did not work. Bought new EZ, did not work. Put in a OX and forgot about it. Raw Brown has an excellent rep on this board, although I have no direct experience with him. Honestly, Tractech will warranty this no questions asked for a year.

Here is a little rant, why do people continue to sell EZs when at the first sign of trouble they say "let's swap it out for a Lock Rite"? I bought my EZ for the Detroit name alone. All lunchboxes are the same. When I took mine back they said "oh ya we have problems with those you should of bought a Lock Rite"!!! Then why the #$%#% didn't you tell me that in the first place? Does that sound familliar? Sorry rant over.

It is possible you will have the same issue with the Lock Rite. Lunchbox lockers are very susseptible to bent housings or flex. I went with a OX just to replace the carrier and be done. I had my axle apart 4 times before I was finished. Good luck to you.

Last edited:
Ben H said:
Neil,

I can lend a hand if needed.

Ben

Only if you were that cute little suit.

Dirt Surfer said:
Too bad you didn't post sooner or researched this some. I could have saved you some time. My 1st EZ did not work right. Called Detroit. Shimmed it, put it back in. Did not work. Bought new EZ, did not work. Put in a OX and forgot about it. Raw Brown has an excellent rep on this board, although I have no direct experience with him. Honestly, Tractech will warranty this no questions asked for a year.

Here is a little rant, why do people continue to sell EZs when at the first sign of trouble they say "let's swap it out for a Lock Rite"? I bought my EZ for the Detroit name alone. All lunchboxes are the same. When I took mine back they said "oh ya we have problems with those you should of bought a Lock Rite"!!! Then why the #$%#% didn't you tell me that in the first place? Does that sound familliar? Sorry rant over.

It is possible you will have the same issue with the Lock Rite. Lunchbox lockers are very susseptible to bent housings or flex. I went with a OX just to replace the carrier and be done. I had my axle apart 4 times before I was finished. Good luck to you.

When I was hunting around for what I wanted for my 98 8.25 the main driveline guy around here, performance driveline, he said Auburn hands down, replaces the carrier with a one piece unit and while it has clutches he said that with the amount of time I spend stressing it off road that it will 'last me long time' :D, he steered me away from detroit and realize my budget would not allow for a ARB which I did not want anyway. That was close to 5 years ago now and it's still as snappy as it was when new. Now I have to do something with the TJ but not sure what yet.

I have had both the ez locker and the lockrite. The detroits have required reinstallation to get it correct with shims. IMO the lockrite is easier to install, and works better than the detroit lunchbox.

Ben H said:
Well...only if you look as good or better than the chicas in my pic.

I don't know I look pretty good in a two piece.

Ok I'm sorry, if you show up like that you might get shot before I realize who you are.

w_howey said:
I know you don't have it working. But did you install it on the bench, or was the carrier still in the axle??

On the bench. I don't like to play around trying to do it the "easy way", it always gets screwed up. I even installed my mini spool on the bench.

Neil

Back