• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Axle Swaps

SFW516

NAXJA Forum User
I am new to these forums so if there is a better spot for this let me know. I am here in sunny, and windy at the moment, Southern CA. And I have a 90 automatic 4wd cherokee.

And I have aquired a 94 Cherokee (Country) that has been in an accident. And has some kind of electrically actuated lockers on the front axle. And I am considering swapping out both front and rear into my jeep when I put swap out his rubicon 4.5 lift. The thing is it would be kind of nice not only because of the lockers but also my Ujoints are rattling away and worn out. So I'll kill two birds with one stone.

Now there is some damage, but I'm thinking between whats good on mine and whats good on his I'll get two new axles and a bit of an upgrade.

So one of my main questions is, has anybody on here done something like this? And can his lockers be wired into my jeep? I am no expert mechanic, so I'd have to do alot of learning as I go. So if I'm crazy let me know, I've been thinking about it and this seems like the most logical way to go.

Here are some pics of the front axle, lockers and the rear.

If your first picture is what you are refering to as "lockers",that is the tone ring and sensor for the anti lock brakes.XJs never had electric hubs.

Ahhhhhh that makes sense. Shows you how much I know.

The owner said it has lockers in the front though. How do I know it has them?

A "locker" is a locking differential carrier. You will need to pull the front dif. cover and take a pic. of the gear set. Post the pic. If it's a locker, somebody here will be able to identify it.

Looks like there's been a piece of armor added to the cover too.

An electric locker will have a wire running out of the case somewhere and a switch to engage it in the cab.

That ribbed piece of sheet metal in front of the steering linkage is a front skid plate. It's a pretty good piece. You'll want to keep that. Also, if it has the front skid, it probably has a rear(gas tank) skid and a transfer case skid(small piece of metal bolted to the dr. side frame and the cross member, covers the end of the transfer case)

Thanks, I'll try and get some pics tomorrow. Yeah I actually have a cover that goes over the gas tank and a transfer case skid on my Jeep. But I will be making use of that front skid on my Jeep.

Also on a side note for those with 90 XJ's, and this may sound like a stupid question. But I can't find any engine light on my Jeep. Is this a year that they did not have one?

Back